squirt bottle full o bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perry

Reaction score
So, I just moved my kegging operation up to my shop... A woodshop, with loads of dust and crap, and no water supply... I've been using a squirt bottle with a heavy bleach solution to squirt everything, including my fingers. This is not to replace the usual proper sanitation procedures, but rather to supplement them. Many batches now and it eases my mind... cheers, -p

It may work but it needs to be rinsed. I use starsan and do the same thing, but you don't need to worry about rinsing.

EdWort said:
It may work but it needs to be rinsed. I use starsan and do the same thing, but you don't need to worry about rinsing.
I agree... a workshop with no water supply and a squirt bottle full of bleach sounds like a poor combination. Starsan sanitizes much faster than bleach so it's much better for quick "spot sanitizing", and there's no danger of it affecting the taste of your beer.

I would, and do, use a spray bottle with an iodophor solution. Easy to mix and no rinse. If you continue to use bleach, I would recommend using a more dilute solution (10% will kill any and everything) and allowing longer contact time.

jeff said:
I would, and do, use a spray bottle with an iodophor solution. Easy to mix and no rinse. If you continue to use bleach, I would recommend using a more dilute solution (10% will kill any and everything) and allowing longer contact time.

both breweries I have had the luck to work in does the same thing. everything gets a squirt of Iodophor mixture.

perry said:
So, I just moved my kegging operation up to my shop... A woodshop, with loads of dust and crap, and no water supply... I've been using a squirt bottle with a heavy bleach solution to squirt everything, including my fingers. This is not to replace the usual proper sanitation procedures, but rather to supplement them. Many batches now and it eases my mind... cheers, -p

Sounds like an awesome project you could do!:rockin: Figure out how to plumb water lines up there, and install a deepsink. Perfect for brewing!

Sometimes a too highly concentrated sanitizing solution can do more harm than good. For example, 70% Isopropyl alcohol is more effective than the 90%. This is because of the water exchange in the bacterial cell wall. Bacteria regularly exchange water through their cell wall, but when put in a detrimental environment (with something other than water), will stop this exchange (and go dormant) to survive. If there is enough water to sort of trick them into allowing the solution in, it will kill them (which is what we want). In a solution where the concentration of sanitizer was too high and they shut down, when the environment returns to normal, they will start the exchange again and thrive. It's best to use sanitizers at their recommended levels. I'm digging this info from the back of my head from college days in microbiology, so if there are any microbiolists out there that can augment what I'm saying, feel free.

I use the Alpet D2 spray sanitizer from B3. (also the Alpet hand sanitizer is great) It's alcohol based, needs only 60 seconds of contact and then can be flamed off. A little more expensive than some Iodophor or Starsan, but I probably got 8 or 10 batches from brew day to bottling from a bottle.

EdWort said:

ditto. star san in a spray bottle is possibly the best sanitizing advancement of the decade.

(hey, I said "possibly"...)

Back