Squeezing Hop Spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patjofo

Reaction score
I will be doing an extract brew with a hop spider I just made. Is it necessary to squeeze the hop bag to release the wort from the bag and hops prior to cooling the wort?

No need. What about your addition at flameout? I just let it drain as much as I can halfway through cooling process.

I let it ccol with the wort for about 15 minutes and then I do squeeze every bit of hoppy deliciousness out of it.

The reason I don't squeeze is because that's the most critical time in terms of avoiding infection. I don't think you are getting any more effect out of the hops at that point. What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?

The reason I don't squeeze is because that's the most critical time in terms of avoiding infection. I don't think you are getting any more effect out of the hops at that point. What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?

I am using my sanitized stir stick to squeeze the hop sock so there is no risk of infection and if there is any hop bitternes/flavor/aroma left in that sock, I want to get it out. It's just my process. Works for me.

phuff7129 said:
I am using my sanitized stir stick to squeeze the hop sock so there is no risk of infection and if there is any hop bitternes/flavor/aroma left in that sock, I want to get it out. It's just my process. Works for me.

This seems like a great way to do it. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back