• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Spunding valve/pressure transfer lit for Sankey keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
I've been using these for a few years now and absolutely love them so I decided to make some and see if anyone is interested in buying them. Let me know what you all think. I have one available now and more on the way soon if people are interested in them.
$120 plus shipping
It allows a home brewer to use a Sankey keg as a fermenter much more efficiently. Unlike almost all home brew conical fermenter available today, a keg will hold much more pressure allowing the beer to be naturally carbonated. This is the same technique a commercial brewery uses to carbonate their beer and means no more force carbonation, and no more waiting. The beer is carbonated and ready to drink the moment you transfer it. Just close the blow off when you are around 5 gravity points from your final gravity and let the yeast do the rest. You can also draw samples to taste and to check the gravity. The kit includes a low pressure gauge (15psi) and an adjustable pressure relief valve so you can dial in the exact desired carbonation level. The dip tube allows for pressurized transfers, and because of if it's design, the beer doesn't touch any parts except the dip tube and the ball valve which makes for a sanitary, easy to clean product. Just attach your hose barb or tail piece fitting and transfer to your serving keg or bottle with a counter pressure filler.
For those of you who already have a conical fermenter this device lets you use a Sankey keg as a bright tank or a secondary fermenter. This will allow you to brew more often by freeing up your fermenter for new batches.
All components are made of food grade stainless steel and the welds have been back purged with Argon to ensure a clean weld on the inside. All threads are ¼ NPT. Overall length is approximately 31”, width 7” and depth 7”. Thermowell is 17.5” long x ½ OD and dip tube is 20.5” x 5/16 OD.
These measurements are for ½ barrel (16 gal), the newer tall style ¼ barrel (8 gal) and 5 gal kegs. I can make one for the old short style 8 gallon kegs on request,
Kit includes, 2” Tri-Clover end cap with welded fittings and thermowell, 2 “ Tri-Clover clamp, silicone o-ring gasket, dip tube, 15 psi pressure gauge, adjustable pressure relief valve, 2 stainless steel mini ball valves, sampling tube and instructions.
261381_215843965421278_5366762640425387234_n.jpg

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-
9/261381_215843965421278_5366762640425387234_n.jpg?
oh=4ed269b4e1e2d1c1c92f167f12eab44e&oe=57066634
12509299_215844042087937_1548613910979893762_n.jpg

12507171_215844072087934_6917208171413346453_n.jpg

12472233_215844158754592_8520780819868727329_n.jpg

12541112_215844278754580_4168187579384771540_n.jpg

12510493_215844342087907_5373968890496812046_n.jpg

944064_215844395421235_4728196379053205560_n.jpg

Looks great i am super interested. I have an old sankey keg how do i retrofit it?

Looks great i am super interested. I have an old sankey keg how do i retrofit it?
What do you mean by old style sankey? PM me a picture if you get a chance. Before the Sankey style there was a Hoff Stevens keg with a wooden bung in the side. Is that what you have?

Looks like a pretty cool setup. I would be tempted if I had any spare budget these days, but I don't :( I have a 15.5 sankey that I am tempted to use as a secondary/ brighting tank. I filled it up for a wedding by blending three batches (pacman/english ale/s05)and was very careful about sanitation the whole way except that I wet hopped with my meager homegrown hop (centennial) harvest (barely more than a handfull). After the wedding, I bottled the last gallon and never cleaned out the keg. I attempted a using the dregs as a a pitch for 3G of my last 14G of bitter, but when it didn't take off after a couple days I ended up pitching some dry s-04 (3+ months later, I should have run a starter). Interestingly, the dregs smelled real nice with a strong minty/earthy hop smell. I was almost hoping for some sign of infection so that I could develop my own house sour, but no such luck. I generally don't secondary my beer, but dry hop in glass primary by dumping the pellets in, cold crashing and then transferring to a keg for serving. I honey primed my last belgian in cornys but it got a bit too messy/cloudy when transporting the keg.

I love the idea of secondary/brighting in my big sankey, and having the opportunity of blending old and new batches. I am going to stick to a similar bitter recipe for a while since it is really my favorite type of beer. I can tweak my techniques and recipe without trying anything too crazy. My main concern is that eventually it will get to be too yeasty without any sort of conical bottom trap for yeast removal.
On my sankey I've been using an autosiphon with the spear removed for transferring in. I have a ball lock conversion on the gas port of my sankey tap and I have a ball lock enabled spunding valve. If the yeast started to build up in secondary I've though of tilting my sankey so that the spear would be off center. I don't really have a long term plan for dealing with the issue other than just cleaning the thing out every once in a while.. maybe into a starter for another big batch when the time comes.

It will somewhat depend on the yeast strain and how much krausen it produces. In general I'd say about 13 gallons, give or take.
Whats the biggest size batch you can ferment in a 15.5 gallon Sankey using this system?

Sounds like you get very deep in the weeds when it comes to brewing. I like that. Though I can appreciate, and sometimes drink them, I'm not a big fan of sours. I've also never tried priming with honey. I did use molasses once in a spiced winter ale and I liked it.If you do decide to use a Sankey for a brite tank this adapter will be the ticket.
Looks like a pretty cool setup. I would be tempted if I had any spare budget these days, but I don't :( I have a 15.5 sankey that I am tempted to use as a secondary/ brighting tank. I filled it up for a wedding by blending three batches (pacman/english ale/s05)and was very careful about sanitation the whole way except that I wet hopped with my meager homegrown hop (centennial) harvest (barely more than a handfull). After the wedding, I bottled the last gallon and never cleaned out the keg. I attempted a using the dregs as a a pitch for 3G of my last 14G of bitter, but when it didn't take off after a couple days I ended up pitching some dry s-04 (3+ months later, I should have run a starter). Interestingly, the dregs smelled real nice with a strong minty/earthy hop smell. I was almost hoping for some sign of infection so that I could develop my own house sour, but no such luck. I generally don't secondary my beer, but dry hop in glass primary by dumping the pellets in, cold crashing and then transferring to a keg for serving. I honey primed my last belgian in cornys but it got a bit too messy/cloudy when transporting the keg.

I love the idea of secondary/brighting in my big sankey, and having the opportunity of blending old and new batches. I am going to stick to a similar bitter recipe for a while since it is really my favorite type of beer. I can tweak my techniques and recipe without trying anything too crazy. My main concern is that eventually it will get to be too yeasty without any sort of conical bottom trap for yeast removal.
On my sankey I've been using an autosiphon with the spear removed for transferring in. I have a ball lock conversion on the gas port of my sankey tap and I have a ball lock enabled spunding valve. If the yeast started to build up in secondary I've though of tilting my sankey so that the spear would be off center. I don't really have a long term plan for dealing with the issue other than just cleaning the thing out every once in a while.. maybe into a starter for another big batch when the time comes.

Arrrrrgh this could be a deal breaker for me. I'm building a 1bbl brewery ( just need my control panel and figure out my fermenting solution ) not sure if I'm willing to either brew 26 gal batches or do 1bbl batches and divide it between 3 kegs. Gotta think on it.

It will somewhat depend on the yeast strain and how much krausen it produces. In general I'd say about 13 gallons, give or take.

You could possibly do a 14 gallon batch but I doubt any bigger.
Arrrrrgh this could be a deal breaker for me. I'm building a 1bbl brewery ( just need my control panel and figure out my fermenting solution ) not sure if I'm willing to either brew 26 gal batches or do 1bbl batches and divide it between 3 kegs. Gotta think on it.

Fermcap? Or an aqueous spunding valve that could handle some blow off.
What pressure do you let it get up to? Assuming Temp of 70f as the fermentation winds down, wouldn't 30 psi be the American style carb level? Maybe 15-20psi for a bitter?

I've for 14psi to be adequate for just about everything that I brew. It will take some experimentation on the brewers part to see what they like.
Fermcap? Or an aqueous spunding valve that could handle some blow off.
What pressure do you let it get up to? Assuming Temp of 70f as the fermentation winds down, wouldn't 30 psi be the American style carb level? Maybe 15-20psi for a bitter?

Really like the idea and have a spare sanke sitting around waiting for this kind of solution...however have a 4 week old son so not sure when I will be brewing regularly again.

Subscribed though so I can find you in the future hopefully.

Congratulations on the new baby and hopefully you start brewing again soon.
Really like the idea and have a spare sanke sitting around waiting for this kind of solution...however have a 4 week old son so not sure when I will be brewing regularly again.

Subscribed though so I can find you in the future hopefully.

What would shipping cost to zip 14865?

Also what is the total height of this setup on a standard keg? Then minus sampling tube? I ferment in a temp controlled chest freezer and don't know if I'll have enough clearance.

Thanks.

I think techniques would've been a better word to use than tricks. The least labor intensive method is to fill the keg with water, preferably hot, and add about 1/4 cup of TSP, not TSP-90, per 5 gallons of water. After a few days or longer, depending on how stuck on the Krausen is, just dump and rinse. Most of the time this gets the job done. It's marketed as a cleaner for painting, but in the past it was very common in laundry and dish soap because it eats away organic material, i.e. all the stuff that comes from fermentation.
It's non toxic, but there are some environmental concerns. The "P" in TSP stands for phosphates which algae love to consume. When it's present in large amounts in the water source it can cause algae plums which deplete the oxygen levels and kill off other plants and marine life. At least that's my understanding. However, the amount that a home brewer puts into the water supply is hardy enough to cause any problems. It's also food safe and is used in food products like baked goods. You can also buy it from lowes in the painting isle for the same price as amazon.
Another option that I use is to use a long bendable brush to reach in and scrub the krausen off but this is a trial and error process since you can see what you're doing. I also made an adapter for my garden hose that kind of acts like a pressure washer wand and I spay the inside wall of the keg where the krausen ring is. Again, this is trial and error because you can't see what you're doing and it doesn't usually get everything off.
Lastly, you need some way to inspect inside when you're done to ensure it's clean. An inspection mirror and a flash light is a cheap and easy way to accomplish this, just make sure the mirror fit's in the opening. I've used this method for a long time and it works fine. I now use a mechanics digital inspection camera and it works great but does cost more. I've included links to these items below as examples only. I don't know if the mirror will fit.
This is off topic, but another benefit of using a keg to ferment in is the ability to sanitize, sterilize actually, the inside with steam. Just add some water and put it on your burner with the spunding adapter LOOSELY sitting on top, no clamp, this sterilizes the keg and adapter at the same time. Get the water boiling and let the steam do the trick. It will be good and sterile in about 15-20 minutes. Just don't let the water all boil off and remember, the keg will be HOT so let it cool down before transferring. Come to think of it, this is another way to get stubborn stuck on krausen off as the steam will loosen it so I guess it's not so off topic..
I hope this information helps and if anyone else has a better cleaning method please share it for the benefit of the group.

Thanks, Mike

http://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10621-Trisodium-Phosphate-16oz/dp/B0001GOGQW/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1453558709&sr=1-2&keywords=tsp

http://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-Mirror-Auto-Inspection-Adjustable/dp/B000RB3XF6

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html

Last edited by a moderator:
PM sent
What would shipping cost to zip 14865?

Also what is the total height of this setup on a standard keg? Then minus sampling tube? I ferment in a temp controlled chest freezer and don't know if I'll have enough clearance.

Thanks.

None of the pics work in this thread from last year, but I'm super curious to see what he built...

None of the pics work in this thread from last year, but I'm super curious to see what he built...

I was too, but my guess is it is something similar to what Jaybird does with his sanke kit. I have one of his, and I attached a tee off of it and added a prv. I will take a picture this weekend.

Sorry for taking so long to post these. Here are some pictures of one I just welded and hasn't been polished yet. The cross could be omitted at just the tee welded to the cap which would allow for the pick-up tube and blow-off/CO2 hook up. The pressure gauge and PRV are for fermenting under pressure to naturally carbonate (spunding valve) I'm also working in a tri-clamp version and will post pics when it's ready.

20170916_101020.jpg

20170916_101113.jpg

20170916_101123.jpg

20170916_101140.jpg

Latest posts

Back