Spruce Beer, Yeast Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavilionBrew

Reaction score
Good afternoon citizens,

I have just finished harvesting 5 oz of spruce tips from my front yard. I will be brewing up an Stronger, Darker version of an ESB as the base of my spruce beer. Having the recipe formulated was the easy part, but now I am at a crossroads. Which yeast strain do I use for this beer. I was thinking between WLP039 Nottingham, or #1968 London ESB. Maybe you all would have a different yeast in mind? Thoughts?

Decisions, Decisions...

Thanks Citizens,

Pavilion

I've never used spruce tips before, but usually when I add stuff like this I go with a Belgian strain (usually belgian abbey), but if you want the flavor to come through like an IPA I might go with US-05.

Personally Id go with a yeast such as wyeast1007. If you want a brittish strain I imagine 1028 would work well.

Wiliams bros make a couple of spruce beers and use nottingham for them. The reason being they want a fairly neutral yeast to let the other flavours come through

Latest posts

Back