Sprite and 7up bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manoau2002

Reaction score
Where I live acquiring supplies is quite difficult and expensive. (Due to shipping and frequently running out of stock) I wondered if using 1 liter Sprite, 7Up, or Canadian Dry Ginger Ale bottles would work for storing homebrew. They are a light green color. I was wondering if the homebrew would spoil quickly in these if I took them to the lake. Also do I need any special caps to put on them or would the regular pop caps work? Thanks.

keep them covered and out of UV light and they should be fine. the spoiling shouldn't happen in a covered bottle

If you are bottle conditioning in the bottles, I think you should be fine. Plenty of people bottle condition homemade soda in 2 liter bottles. Also they make this cap for beer if you want to force carb inside the bottle...

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/The-Carbonater.html

I personally just saved glass beer bottles that my friends and I would be drinking anyway and caps are cheap enough.

I tried storing a maibock in an empty dr. pepper bottle. As far as storing / carbing, it worked great! However, even though I soaked the bottle and lid in oxyclean the night before, the beer had a slight dr. pepperie taste to it. You could still smell it in the lid as well...

Somebody mentioned in another thread that using tonic / seltzer water 2 liter bottles was a good alternative...

The sprite and similar bottles are made out of PET, you can read the threads on the virtue of PET vs Glass.

Personally I have some brown PET's I've bought. I've scavanged caps from other soda bottles (2L, 1L, 20 oz etc) and only had 1 bottle that the cap wasn't the right size/good fit. Since the bummer is a lambic, I'm saving the bottle for later brew use - it has a kersuan in the air gap.

Back to your question. You shouldn't have a problem. PET's are supposed to be good for 20 or so carbonations, caps I've read 5 reuses. I now after filling give the bottle a squeeze to see if it is a tight fit or I need another cap or to tighten it down.

This is a long way to say rinse out your soda bottles and use them if that is your <<$$ alternative. you can even use clear ones with the usual precautions of keeping them in the dark until you drink them. You could make 2Liter bottles for beer if you want, perhaps for a sharing event - I haven't I've got some 1L and .5L that I use.

Back