Springless Bottle Filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deckers_Beers

Reaction score
I ordered one of these & just received it... having never used one before, & seeing how loose the tip is, I'm skeptical of it's ability to not leak. Also, I can't get it apart for the life of me. Not sure how I'm going to be able to fully clean it.

Anyone have any experience using a springless bottle filler? I haven't been able to find much information on the web.

& conversely, is using a spring-loaded filler all that bad for the beer? I guess the metal in the spring isn't technically food grade, but is that really a huge issue?

0207172209.jpg

I haven't used one like that in many years. I suppose they might flow a little smoother, but for bottling it's not a big deal since the beer isn't as carbed as it will be later.

The weight of the beer in the tube presses down on the valve to keep it closed. Mostly.

You will still get a bit of dripping, but it will be minimal. I always put a baking pan with short sides under the fill tube when I fill bottles. It catches most accidents.

I prefer the non-spring version as it can rest against even the side of the bottle and start til fill. It's easier to grade the flow rate as well. Plus the no-spring touching the beer is a plus. They all leak a little bit, just have to move a bit more deliberately into the bottle.

It will drip. But, I've yet to see a bottling process that doesn't result in some dripping.
I usually put a paper towel under mine. Homer's pan would be better.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've thought about putting some tubing, from my autosiphon, onto the dispensing end and trying to run PBW through it using the autosiphon. I also have a keg cleaner that could be used... I've just been too lazy to try new things. Usually, I just drop it into some PBW, push the end so that the thing fills up, and let it soak. Works fine.

I've used these, and as mentioned, they'll stop the flow except for a few drips. The exception is if you bottle something that has... oh, I don't know, raspberries in it, and pieces break off, and get lodged inside your bottle filler and prevent it from sealing completely (purely hypothetical situation) and this would lead you to buying another bottling wand, while you contact the vendor to find out if the thing can be taken apart (it can't).

I did eventually manage to clean it out running pbw through it, and water at high pressure. and now have two bottling wands. and am also much more careful if i'm going to be bottling anything that may have small bits of fruit in it.

I hate those. Maybe I just had a cheap one, but several times when bottling the stupid plunger wouldn't seat correctly between bottles and I'd be holding a wand that was pissing beer while scrambling to grab the next bottle. I bought a spring one. I really couldn't care that the beer touches a metal spring, I make sure it's clean before bottling.

Every once in a while I would have it not seat properly. A couple of quick jabs in the bottom of the bottle got debris, if there was any, out and it then worked with only a few drips each bottle. I always have a bucket or pan underneath, not so much for the drips, but for when I look away as the bottle reaches full and overflows.

I have done many hundreds of bottles. Mine cannot be taken apart. I just rinse it very well, then sanitize very well before use.

I like mine.

I had one of these as my first filler. I had all the leaking problems everyone else has mentioned. I gave it to my son. I now have 2 spring loaded ones.

Back