Splitting Batch; Big Headspace, Growlers, or???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppocrates

Reaction score
So I am planning to brew 5 gallons of 12% Imperial Stout. I plan to split the batch for secondary fermentation/conditioning and go with oak cubes/bourbon in one and oak cubes/rye whiskey in the other. Unfortunately, I do not have 3 gallon carboys. So should I:

1. Split the batches and simply age them in 5 gallon carboys, which will have a huge head space.
-Is this really an issue if I am just going to let it sit for 2-3 months on oak without opening it at all?

2. Split the batches into 10, 1/2 gallon growlers and really experiment with levels of oak/booze in each batch.
-What size stoppers will I need for standard issue 1/2 gallon growlers?

Thanks!

Do you keg? If so, you could blast some CO2 into the carboys.

If not, I say just go for it with the carboys anyway. There's definitely a little risk of oxidation, but with a big beer like that you can just rationalize it with yourself and say the aging is good for it!

Hmmmmmm, I do keg. Good idea! Do I just put the "line in" end at the neck of the carboy, hold down the end, and crank the CO2? Or do I need some type of connector/setup?

Thanks!

Yep, you've got it. Ideally you'll want to get the end of the gas line as close to the bottom of the carboy as possible, so that it theoretically forces the air out the top. Then rack the beer into the CO2-filled carboy.

I do this on all my transfers but never put the tube to the bottom of the carboy. I had always rationalized it by saying that CO2 is heavier than air and if I run the gas for 15-20 sec or so, the heavier gas will drop to the bottom and displace the lighter air through the carboy neck.

Am I wrong or is this possible?

I do that from time to time. But I have limited keg space. If I secondary at all, I will usually secondary in glass.

I do this on all my transfers but never put the tube to the bottom of the carboy. I had always rationalized it by saying that CO2 is heavier than air and if I run the gas for 15-20 sec or so, the heavier gas will drop to the bottom and displace the lighter air through the carboy neck.

Am I wrong or is this possible?

I think your method is fine, but theoretically pushing the tube to the bottom is better. Imagine doing the same action with liquids - the liquid you add would spray out down to the bottom, and then rush up the sides of the carboy a little bit. It's not like air and CO2 separate like oil and water - there's definitely some mixing of the two gases.

Back