Splitting and saving yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
I had posted this at the tail end of another thread, but want to give it a little daylight of its own...

I still have 4 packs of Pac-Man left. Ive re-used yeast cakes many times, but do not want to merely rack onto the yeast cakes over and over. I want it cleaner and fresher.

Has anyone just made standard starters, split the batches, and then stored them away, and then made larger starters of of the split batches? If so, how many times do you think this could work?

I have three packs left myself. I think the yeast would be better left stored cool in its package until you are ready to use it. At that point you could make your starters and split the yeast for multiple beers. Just don’t be skimpy on your starters so you can be assured that you are pitching the proper amount of yeast for the OG of your beer.

I only have the one Pacman culture, so this is what I did. I made two batches, pitching the second batch onto the yeastcake of the first batch. Then I put the cake into a 2 liter bottle and now add a cup of yeast slurry per batch as my 'starter'. I still have the original cake, as I haven't used it in every batch.

If I were you I'd keep the other packs in their original packaging until you're ready to propagate them.

Thanks for your input, and I do understand all that already.

What I am wanting to know is if it is viable to continuously propagate a yeast strain by splitting starters, storing, and repopulating the yeast later, then splitting again. Kind of keeping a strain alive as long as possible.

This is what I do. I make a starter of the new starter pac enlarge this starter to 2000ml save half of the original and pitch with the second half. Every time I want to brew with this yeast I take a split off of my original yeast. When I have used it several times and I want to change yeast strains I save the yeast in a glycol solution an freeze it and move on to anouther strain the yeast I have stored in the glycol solution will last at least one year. That's as far back as I have woke them up after freezing (they may even last longer?). I don't save yeast after using them because making starters and yeast farming is sooooo easy!!!!

I am about to order a American Amber Ale kit form austin home brew. Is the ice pack for the yest important?? Also what about the BrewVint Yeast Fuel is that important or just a gimmic

smogman said:
This is what I do. I make a starter of the new starter pac enlarge this starter to 2000ml save half of the original and pitch with the second half. Every time I want to brew with this yeast I take a split off of my original yeast. When I have used it several times and I want to change yeast strains I save the yeast in a glycol solution an freeze it and move on to anouther strain the yeast I have stored in the glycol solution will last at least one year. That's as far back as I have woke them up after freezing (they may even last longer?). I don't save yeast after using them because making starters and yeast farming is sooooo easy!!!!

This is exactly what I was wanting to know about. Thanks. Now about the glycol solution...how are you doing this?

kingjam said:
I am about to order a American Amber Ale kit form austin home brew. Is the ice pack for the yest important?? Also what about the BrewVint Yeast Fuel is that important or just a gimmic

The ice pack is good, in my opinion for warmer climates, summer time or to just help keep it cool. Last thing you want is the pack getting too hot during shipment.

As for the BrewVint Yeast Fuel, I have never used that exact brand, but I do use the Yeast Nutrient from ID Carlson, which I use when making my starters. Its Ammonium Phosphate and Urea, which helps provide needed nutrients, and promotes healthy yeast growth. The BrewVint Yeast Fuel is probably the same thing. So if you are making a starter, my advise is to buy some. If you arenet making a starter... start making them. ;)

smogman said:

smogman - Tell me if I have this right. Make a 2000ml starter from commercial yeast (say a Wyeast Smack Pack). Pitch 1000ml into current brew and put 1000ml in the fridge (do you wash this or store as is?). When you are ready to brew you take the 1000ml from the fridge and step it up to 2000ml. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Have I got that right? How many cycles do you feel comfortable going?

Back