Splitting a pack of dry yeast for smaller batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFloyd

Reaction score
I'm quite new at this, using a couple of Mr. Beer fermenters I was given and getting ready for my third batch. This one will be the first one to not use any MB HME and yeast.

I'll be using Nottingham and pitching into a volume of about 2.3 gallons. The yeast packet size is 11 grams. Mr Malty says 5 grams of dry for that size batch assuming an OG of 1.053.

My digital scale isn't quite that sensitive. Do I simply guesstimate about 1/2 the packet and rehydrate that? What, if anything, can be done to save the leftover half to use in another week or two?

If you save the yeast, the two important things to remember are:

- keep contamination out
- Keep moisture out

Basically keep clean and dry, wrap up well in cling film and store in fridge.

Dry yeast isn't particularly fragile. Estimate 1/2 packet for your batch. Then scotch tape the packet closed and stick it in the fridge. Even without refrigeration, dry yeast usually has an excellent shelf life.

I've got a 1lb bulk package of dried yeast in the fridge I've been using out of for close to 6 months now. It's still perfectly fine.

Thanks guys.

I'll certainly be using the second half within a month. Nice to know that I can tape it up and put it back in the fridge.

I suppose my other option is to pitch the whole packet and set my fermentation temp into the mid-50's to shoot for a faux-lager kind of ferment.

Leadgolem - I love that CreamyGoodness quote. I wonder if I can convince my wife to try that.:p

Latest posts

Back