Split Top Kegerator Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koi

Reaction score
Aloha,

I apologize in advance if this topic has come up before, but I'm receiving a GE 7 cu ft freezer tomorrow to start my split top kegerator project. BTW, thanks for all the past kegerator submissions, they have all been very helpful in planning for my project.

I didn't notice any posts in the past couple of years in which others have attempted a split top kegerator, and so I am a tad worried that there is something I've overlooked. The reason for the split top obviously is to be able to have a faucet tower without the inconvenience of having to lift a top with an attached tower to change kegs. 2/3 of the top will lift up on a hinge as usual, and the remaining 1/3 (with the tower) will simply stay sitting on top.

The split in the top will generally follow the step up in the freezer bottom. I'm intending to use foam insulation board to create the top and collar (I bought two 4'x8' sheets of foam board (2" and 1") to lay up pieces to form the two tops. I plan to fiberglass the whole top. I anticipate having to do some grinding/sanding to get the fiberglass to fit snugly (and I haven't used fiberglass since I made a couple of surfboards in college), but the utility of the split top design is to appealling for me not to give this the old college try.

One issue I foresee is where to locate a second hinge for the top that flips up--any suggestions on how I figure out where I can drill without hitting a coolant line? I was going to stop by a GE service center and ask the question. Otherwise, I will probe my freezer carefully when I receive it. If I can't figure that out assuredly, then I may add a second collar just so I can have flexibility to place hinges on that collar where I need them.

i did some rough handsketches to work out small details, but nothing helpful enough to share at this time. I will try to document my progress in a way that others can copy (including pics) if this is successful.

if your collar goes the whole way around the top of the freezer, then I imagine you can secure your hinges to that, and not have to worry about any coolant lines when securing the lid.

Man, there is a thread around here somewhere regarding this exact same thing. Dude took a Sawzall to the top, cut it right in half and attached the hinges.

Thx BendBrewer for the link. Interesting, looks like he split the depth; whereas, I was going to split the width. The compressor compartment makes a nice break for the split top, and even though the freezer fits 4 cornys I'm going with a 3 faucet tower. I did look to see how the top could be dismantled but largely to see if I could use it to make a mold.

Matt, I will make a collar to add hinges. Looks too daunting for my first kegerator project to figure out where to drill for an additional hinge and it isn't much more work to make the collar.

I took a lot of measurements last night and I will sum them up and post them so others will have them BEFORE they buy their freezer. I didn't get to see the GE before I bought it so I was a little surprised by the slight bevel on the lid. Since I'm building an entirely new top I would like to have it fit really snug so I'm contemplating making a mold so I can cast a perfect fit with fiberglass, but I don't have all year to build this darn thing. I would like it to be well made though. I think I will do a mock up with the foam board first to see how it fits and how hard it is to create that slight bevel.

Unfortunately, I have to take a break and work on my taxes the rest of this weekend. But I'm anxious to do a mock up first since I have lot of foam board to play with.

Back