Split mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking at some big ris brews, and using a robobrew they are a bit heavy in the grain bill. If I split the mash into two vessels are there any issues I should look out for? I’m thinking to bring it all into one grain bag, mix as best as I can, and then do half on a burner setup that I used before the robobrew.

thanks

dave

I don't see any issues. But I would recommend weighing out the grain splits before milling. Trying to mix homogeneously after milling could be difficult.

ETA: and you'll probably want to adjust your boil-off rate(s) for the fact that you're going to have two boils. (If you are. I wasn't sure if you were going to be combining worts right after the mashes.)

Just splitting The mash, I’ll do the boil in one kettle. just don’t have the cap for 22lb of grain I don’t think and don’t want to figure I don’t when I’m starting

thanks!

You could always fit your 16 lbs of grain and then add DME to get to your starting gravity...just a thought from a fellow robobrew albeit 65 L user

Latest posts

Back