Split duplex receptacles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDAK

Reaction score
I just moved in to a new house. Kitchen is older and does not have 20 amp gfci circuits. After pulling apart multiple sockets, I also discovered that the 15 amp receptacles are split duplex receptacles. So now I have changed out my 2 x 2000w elements for 1500w and bought 2 inline gfci cords to plug them into.

My question is, can I plug both GFCI extension cords into the same receptacle (ie. Max 15 amp draw from each of the plug-ins on the same receptacle) or am I still better off plugging them into 2 completely separate circuits as I did with the 2000w elements?

Typically that’s just done because one outlet is on a switch for a table lamp or something. If it’s an older home odds are good it’s not actually two separate breakers in the panel so the max you can draw is 15amp total.

IMy question is, can I plug both GFCI extension cords into the same receptacle (ie. Max 15 amp draw from each of the plug-ins on the same receptacle) or am I still better off plugging them into 2 completely separate circuits as I did with the 2000w elements?

They will have to be on separate circuits (i.e., different breakers) to function. Like @etk29321 said, it could be that one side of the outlet it switch and the other is constant, and both are on the same circuit. A given circuit only has a specific amount of capacity, so a single 15A circuit feeding the same outlet in two different ways (switched and constant) still only gives 15A.

Under current NEC, a split hot circuit should be on a double-pole breaker, so that if you switch off the breaker, the entire outlet is de-energized. Whether that happened in your house is anyone's guess.

It's easy to find out - just test your breakers to figure out which breaker or breakers turn off both sides of the outlet. If it is one breaker, then you only have 15A. If it is two breakers or a double pole breaker, then you have 2x 15A and you are fine.

Latest posts

Back