Splenda question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banks741938

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing my first batch of cider. Have it fermenting right now. I want to add some Splenda to some of the cider and leave the rest dry to compare to see which I like better. My question is I want to take half of the cider and add the Splenda directly to the bottles and then fill with cider and then cap for backsweeting. The other half I'll just go dry. How much Splenda per bottle would be a good starting point. Id like it sweet. I have a bunch of the small Splenda packs at home and thought I'd just use that. Thanks!!

Or just thought to bottle the first half gallon dry and then add the total Splenda to the other half gallon and then bottle. Would that work better?

Sorry, I have yet to use any non- fermentables so I don't want to provide pure guesswork

For what its worth, I added 1 cup of splenda to 2 gallons I split off from a larger batch for comparisons at bottling time to back sweeten. The result was not what I would call "sweet" but it took the edge off and wasn't bad. However, there are so many variables that you can't count on this...what type of apples/juice did you use, yeast, etc. all effect how it will turn out. Mine was also fermented out completely, and I bottle conditioned with priming sugar. You might segregate a small portion of your batch and try starting with a small amount of splenda adding until you get the taste you want, then prime and bottle.

Back