Spike... I need a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jacket material is on order. We are finalizing designs with our local manufacturer as well as wrapping up testing with outside labs. We understand it can be frustrating waiting for new products however it is our company goal to produce the highest quality products you can buy. Unfortunately this takes time to develop and test to get to our high quality standard. We release new product details well in advance so people know what's on the horizon and can start saving, planning, etc. If this causes more harm than good we might need to re-look at that strategy.

Honestly I get it. the strategy isn't a bad one. The constant missed promise dates are what makes it infuriating. I would say if you are going to change something change your level of optimism in your supply chains expediency. I have no problem waiting six months for something I want. Its when its promised in 3 and then takes 6 that raises my ire.

On a happy note I have about 6 or 7 batches through my CF10 and love it. Excellent build quality. I don't regret waiting.

I just purchased the CF5 with most of the available accessories. Anyone have any advice or complaints with either the CF10 or 15 after getting a few batches through it.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but the lack of an available neoprene jacket continues to be a nuisance when cold crashing. I've had mine for about four months and haven't been able to wait for all of the other components of Spike's temperature control system - I've ended up buying pieces from other vendors - but could still use the fitted jacket.

That said, this is a great unit.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but the lack of an available neoprene jacket continues to be a nuisance when cold crashing. I've had mine for about four months and haven't been able to wait for all of the other components of Spike's temperature control system - I've ended up buying pieces from other vendors - but could still use the fitted jacket.

That said, this is a great unit.

Make one. Takes about an hour and costs less than $20
View attachment IMG_1188.jpg

No complaints. I have the cf 10. I wish the accessory for the CO2 input was available sooner, but I put something together that works fine. Enjoy

View attachment 420062

I've gone as far as laying out some spare bubble insulation on the floor and starting to take measurements, but for now am just wrapping in old blankets. Mine is in a heated part of the house, so mostly just a problem while crashing. Currently finishing up a crash at 34 and kegging tomorrow. Still holding out hope that the neoprene will be out this year for my CF10. This remains a gap vs. the competitive offer from SS Brewtech.

Three batches. No complaints.
However, I hope there are short extension legs that are just long enough to be used with sight glass. I don't like the long extension legs.

View attachment 420062
Ive been using the same type of jacket for three years now , only my cooling jacket made of 1.5" blue discharge hose (also found at the home depot) is between the insulation and conical sides.. I also found two layers of the foil based bubble wrap taped up with hvac foil faced tape works better than one. I also made a cover for my lids...

Three batches. No complaints.
However, I hope there are short extension legs that are just long enough to be used with sight glass. I don't like the long extension legs.

I agree. I have two CF15s with the leg extensions. Way to wobbly for me. I'll remove the extensions and build something to make it secure.

If you're ever looking for more tanks we offer a 15% military discount as well (enter 'Military' at checkout). We'd love for you to do a side by side comparison as we know which one you'll like better ;):mug:

Really?!? That is awesome! I just wish I had found this thread before I ordered the CF10 and accessories to the tune of $885 today. Is there any way to retro the veteran discount? I wish there was something on the website to show this.

Wow, that looks like a disaster waiting to happen! How much wobble does it have?

Wow, that looks like a disaster waiting to happen! How much wobble does it have?

It’s only about 8” and it solid as can be with the base plate! Another guy on home brew group on Facebook did the same thing an he likes it as well!

It’s only about 8” and it solid as can be with the base plate! Another guy on home brew group on Facebook did the same thing an he likes it as well!

What is the thread specification? 3/8"-16 or 3/8"-24?

I bought this but found it not sturdy enough.

Maybe using it together with the threaded rod is a solution.

What is the thread specification? 3/8"-16 or 3/8"-24?

I bought this but found it not sturdy enough.

Maybe using it together with the threaded rod is a solution.

It’s 3/8” 16 and it’s pretty tough stuff! I’m sure you’d have a hell of a time trying to bend a 12” section without some kind of tool. I’m not an engineer or anything but I think it would take three times the weight of the full fermenter pushing down on that rod to even flex it as long as you have the bottom support to keep it from spreading.

It’s 3/8” 16 and it’s pretty tough stuff! I’m sure you’d have a hell of a time trying to bend a 12” section without some kind of tool. I’m not an engineer or anything but I think it would take three times the weight of the full fermenter pushing down on that rod to even flex it as long as you have the bottom support to keep it from spreading.

Thanks, and the length of the coupling nuts? Is 1 1/4 long enough?

Thanks, and the length of the coupling nuts? Is 1 1/4 long enough?

Yes 1 1/4” is correct. I also used a tap to clean the threads on the original legs and used backup nuts against the original legs to lock the all thread from turning when I had the length I wanted.

Does anyone have the pickup tube? Do you feel it’s needed or not needed?
I have one that I use for every batch, although I honestly don't rotate it, just leave it in a fixed position. There'd probably be yeast buildup in the racking port if I didn't use it, but either way probably not a big issue.

I have one hooked up for the same reason but haven’t drained my first batch yet.

I have one that I use for every batch, although I honestly don't rotate it, just leave it in a fixed position. There'd probably be yeast buildup in the racking port if I didn't use it, but either way probably not a big issue.
A tiny amount will normally settle in the racking port but that usually ends up at the bottom of my hydrometer tube so I felt these werent justified myself.. Many people who have them report they no longer bother to use them.

Got my conical - unfortunately FedEx felt the need to invert it and deliver t partially opened.

The only thing that appears to be damage is the 2” dump valve - the guide plate that the handle clicks into to lock it at different points is loose. I’ve asked Spike about it but they aren’t gotten back to me. Is it possible to tighten that plate? The other valve does not have this happening.

Back