Spike Conical- observations and best practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for both of your replies. Despite spending literally a grand on the setup, I missed the racking arm. I expect that will solve my problems along with the tips you provided. Back to the Spike site I go.
Fwiw... you don't have to buy Spike's... but i think theirs IS designed just for them. I have since gotten TC products (gaskets clamps reducers etc.) From the amazon, and i think other sites might be even cheaper.
But the Spike racking arm IS nice. I got it from them. (I too didnt order it with my unit at first. O well).

Fwiw... you don't have to buy Spike's... but i think theirs IS designed just for them. I have since gotten TC products (gaskets clamps reducers etc.) From the amazon, and i think other sites might be even cheaper.
But the Spike racking arm IS nice. I got it from them. (I too didnt order it with my unit at first. O well).
The only thing I would like the Spike racking arm to have is a handle to help you turn it. There are others out there with this feature. I might pick up one to try out. Looks like Stout Tanks offers one that could work. I'll need to make some measurements after I clean out the fermenter that I'll be filling on Sunday.

I'm struggling with closed pressure transfers on my CF5 (I apologize as I'm sure this is covered somewhere in the 67 pages of this topic, but I couldn't find it. Could be I'm a poor searcher) I've done them successfully on my SS Brewtech, but I never get a flow going on the CF5. First I thought it was dry hopping as my first failures were IPAs, but yesterday my Doppel Helles wouldn't go, so I had to do the old fashioned way of tub in the keg. I had cold crashed to 35 degrees for 2 days. I also noticed some trub in the racking port when cleaning, is the issue too much trub? How would I avoid that? Even if I dumped, some would settle in that port. Any ideas?
I also have the CF5. I pressure ferment @ 6-8psi and use the fermentation Co2 to purge 2 (in line), 2.5 gallon kegs. I set the racking arm in a horizontal to slightly down position prior to fermentation. For the transfer, I first rotate the racking arm to a 45 degree up position and give a quick open & close to eject any trub, then equalize the conical and keg by connecting a purged gas line to the spunding valve (Blichmann) and the keg gas post. Once equalized, I flood the transfer tubing and fill up the hydrometer tube for a FG reading, then connect to the keg out post and begin the transfer, using gravity to fill the keg which pushes the keg Co2 back into the fermentor. This has proven to work best for me and saves Co2.

Curious to know how many people are using the carbonation stone (from Spike) to carbonate their finished beer IN conical. I find it's a significant time saver and makes things easier when the batch is finished. Since I fill either a 2.5 or 3 gallon keg and then can the rest, directly from conical. No need to bring more than one keg into the keezer and get them carbonated there. It also means that the racking arm gets cleared of any trub/sediment/etc. at the same time. I tend to have the racking arm either horizontal, or shift it to a slightly upward position for this.

I'm also thinking about getting one of these racking arms to play with when I have an empty CF10.
https://conical-fermenter.com/Racking-Arm-for-Non-Jacketed-Fermenters.html?cat=267

I have used the carb stone on my cf15s and I agree it is nice to have the keg ready to go right out of the fermenter. It is also nice when you don't have room in the keezer or whatever you serve from as the keg can sit where ever until your ready for it. I don't use it for my heavily dry hopped beers though cause it does stir things back up a little and those beers are hard to transfer a full batch as it is.

I give the dry hopped batches a couple/few days to settle from when I stop the carbonation process to when I do the transfer to keg and can. That seems to be more than enough time for the hop matter to settle into the cone, below the racking arm pickup. I plan to do this with the batch I'm brewing Sunday.

Before I started this method I was using a corny keg carbonating lid. The problem I had there is I needed to add a secondary regulator to my CO2 system (inside the keezer) so that I could adjust the pressure sent to the stone off the lid. Carbonation time was about the same since I still had to chill the beer in the keg before starting. With the chill coil in my CF10's, getting to carbonating temperature is easier (and more certain). It also means I don't need to change the lid on the keg to carbonate the batch (especially since I would have more than one keg to carbonate).

Yeah I have a 4 gang regulator set up so I can carb or serve any of the 4 kegs in my keezer at any time.
I have a dual body regulator for the CO2 feed going into manifolds (one each). I also have the nitro mix going to another set of manifolds (I ganged them up since I wanted to use what I already had for that feed).

I'll be removing the secondary regulator from my setup soon. Then I need to decide what to do with it. I'm thinking that I'll sell it since I don't expect to need it again.

Nice, nitro is on my list of "want that" haha.
I have three faucets on CO2 and three stout faucets. All are stainless (except for the handles). I went with the old school style stout faucets (from MoreBeer) and have been thinking about changing one of the CO2 ones to another stout. I ordered the stout regulator from MoreBeer and then just went to one of the gas suppliers in my area for the 75/25 nitro/CO2 mix bottle. I went with the smaller one (5# CO2 size equal) for the first tank. Depending on how long it lasts will determine what I get when it's time for more. Since all my gas bottles are outside the keezer, going to a larger one is no issue at all.

I use the carb stone to carbonate in the conical. Works pretty well and is nice having beer just about ready to drink same day I kegged it. I do tend to finish fermentation in sealed tank so get about half carbed naturally and rest from tank CO2.

I also use the Spike racking arm and find I have no issue turning it without any sort of handle. I use a teflon gasket between the tank and arm and the arm turns very easily with only a slight loosening of the clamp. I'd also worry how a third party racking arm would fit (would it be too long or too short to reach middle of the tank in down orientation). I assume Spike either picked their arm to fit their tank or perhaps picked the racking arm and then decided exactly where the racking port should go for the arm to work best.

I tried using one of the Teflon gaskets but they didn't seal 100% during my pre-fil CO2 test. I switched back to the black gasket (provided with the conical) and those seal 100%. I'm able to loosen the clamp enough to rotate the racking arm without losing the seal. I use the butterfly valve as the handle. I'd just rather have an actual handle on the racking arm, so that I can have the valve handle set where it makes things easier. Or as I wish. ;)

I have not had any issues with it leaking at the gasket whether its super tight or I loosen to turn it, maybe lucky I guess. I just use the valve handle to turn it as well, maybe the cf15 being larger allows for enough room that it does not have a big effect on my where the valve handle ends up, that being said I do place the handle in a position so that when I rotate the arm upwards the handle will be in a convenient location for the transfer.

I'm sure I'll get more used to it over time. Or I'll get the racking arm I linked earlier. I've been having the handle on the opposite side of the tab on the racking arm (or the indicator to show where the pickup is).

Does anyone have any advice for using the carb stone for oxygenating their wort? I read through the spike faq for this but I’m hoping to find more info.

I have an oxygenation wand but I’d really like to either oxygenate in-line during transfer or through the carb stone to eliminate opening the fermentor for too long to limit contamination concerns. I usually run my wand at 1 L/Min for a few minutes with O2.

It’d probably be worth an e-mail to spike to see what they recommend as a flow rate with their carb stone to achieve the same results (wetting pressure of the stone may be different than the wand?)

And as for placement, is it better to put it on the end of the racking arm vs on a dedicated port like the sample port? I’ve heard it discussed on this forum that yeast settling may cause clogging issues if connected directly to the port throughout fermentation. Then I suppose you could put it on the sample port with a butterfly valve in order to remove prior to fermentation and then attach the sample valve or re-apply to carbonate post fermentation. I also wonder if either option is less optimal because it would put the stone in less contact with the wort?

It’s easy to use the wand like I have been but I’d really like a good way to oxygenate in a closed setting in the conical.

I tried using one of the Teflon gaskets but they didn't seal 100% during my pre-fil CO2 test. I switched back to the black gasket (provided with the conical) and those seal 100%. I'm able to loosen the clamp enough to rotate the racking arm without losing the seal. I use the butterfly valve as the handle. I'd just rather have an actual handle on the racking arm, so that I can have the valve handle set where it makes things easier. Or as I wish. ;)
I pressure ferment and use a teflon gasket between the conical and racking arm and never had a leak, and being able to turn the arm with only a slight loosening of the clamp makes things a whole lot easier.

Does anyone have any advice for using the carb stone for oxygenating their wort? I read through the spike faq for this but I’m hoping to find more info.

I have an oxygenation wand but I’d really like to either oxygenate in-line during transfer or through the carb stone to eliminate opening the fermentor for too long to limit contamination concerns. I usually run my wand at 1 L/Min for a few minutes with O2.

It’d probably be worth an e-mail to spike to see what they recommend as a flow rate with their carb stone to achieve the same results (wetting pressure of the stone may be different than the wand?)

And as for placement, is it better to put it on the end of the racking arm vs on a dedicated port like the sample port? I’ve heard it discussed on this forum that yeast settling may cause clogging issues if connected directly to the port throughout fermentation. Then I suppose you could put it on the sample port with a butterfly valve in order to remove prior to fermentation and then attach the sample valve or re-apply to carbonate post fermentation. I also wonder if either option is less optimal because it would put the stone in less contact with the wort?

It’s easy to use the wand like I have been but I’d really like a good way to oxygenate in a closed setting in the conical.
I oxygenate at my plate chiller as the wort goes into fermenter with the item from SS Brew Tech. I carbonate with the carbonation stone (from Spike) only. I connect it to the racking arm so that it also clears that item of anything that might be in it.

IMO, the wetting pressure of the carbonating stone would give you some trouble (4psi) if you try to use it to oxygenate the wort as well.

For the Teflon gasket leak... I did my pressure test at 10psi IIRC. At that level, it leaked. It might be the gasket I was using, but I didn't have any others to test with at the time. I think I have a couple of fresh ones now. I've not had a long enough gap for when a fermenter isn't occupied (and clean) to actually try one. I'll be cleaning the fermenter that's now empty (emptied the other day) on Saturday so it can be filled on Sunday. The other one is still a couple weeks away from being empty/available. It's in the middle of week two with oak spirals in the batch (an old ale). I expect to let it sit for at least another week and a half before it gets carbonated and kegged/canned.

I also have the CF5. I pressure ferment @ 6-8psi and use the fermentation Co2 to purge 2 (in line), 2.5 gallon kegs. I set the racking arm in a horizontal to slightly down position prior to fermentation. For the transfer, I first rotate the racking arm to a 45 degree up position and give a quick open & close to eject any trub, then equalize the conical and keg by connecting a purged gas line to the spunding valve (Blichmann) and the keg gas post. Once equalized, I flood the transfer tubing and fill up the hydrometer tube for a FG reading, then connect to the keg out post and begin the transfer, gravity to fill the keg which pushes the keg Co2 back into the fermentor. This has proven to work best for me and saves Co2.

Racking arm arrived today! Your transfer system sounds awesome, wish I could try it but I'm filling 5 gallon kegs and my out post is about the height of the CF5 port, so no gravity for me. But I have a couple questions for curiosity sake:

1. Pressure fermentation (which Spike seems to discourage) are you using the Blichmann spunding valve to keep you at 6-8psi? And is that pressure sufficient to keep any liquid blowoff out of the valve and purge set up?

2. I've never used a spunding valve, but I am assuming that after you hit 6-8psi, it lets any CO2 out and it goes to your kegs, pressurizing both of them. Do you need a spunding valve on the 2nd keg, set at the same psi as the first valve? Otherwise couldn't they both get to pressure and the CO2 would have no where to go? (I wish I had paid attention in physics class)

I'd love to see a picture of that set up

I'm using the SS Brew Tech spunding valve. It's graduated in .2 bar increments (just use a reference chart to dial it in where you want). With the plastic cup for Starsan (cover the holes around the middle part) it's easy to see what's going on. I also have the Spike gas manifold setups on both conical fermenters. Which means I can also see what the actual pressure is inside the fermenter.

Excess CO2 goes out of the spunding valve as bubbles (easy to see).

Spike states that their gas manifold is NOT a spunding valve. This is due to the PRV being set to trip at 15psi (working pressure of the conical fermenters). As long as you set your spunding valve to release below that, you'll be fine.

I don't see any need/reason to try putting the CO2 from fermentation into a keg. Breweries that capture CO2 also scrub it before compressing it for use later. Doing that at the home level (or nano brewery) is more expensive than it's worth. It would take a LOT of batches, and years, to make the hardware purchase worth it.

I use a pressure transfer to fill my keg(s) via a closed system. Which means the gas post on the keg has a tube going into a container of Starsan, which acts as an airlock. It also allows me to see when I'm starting to get beer foam hitting the gas post dip tube. At that point, I stop the transfer. The last few batches I've not needed to use any CO2 from a bottle to do the transfer to keg. It might have needed some CO2 as I was filling cans, but it wasn't all that much. I'm using my 10# CO2 bottle for transfers these days. My 5# is used to purge the cans before filling them.

New CF5 - Marital question

OK, so I go home after a week on the road to find 3 big boxes of Spike goodies sitting in the entryway. After an appropriate malling by the dogs and then my wife…. The NEXT day I find myself spending 30 minutes explaining to the wife why I was soaped up in the shower with my CF5!

is it just my luck or are there more of us being caught in compromising situations? 🤪

Did you explain to her that it was necessary to get the residual manufacturing oils off of the shiny stainless steel?

Naturally, the truth is always the best excuse!

Good thing her favorite is in the allrounder now! It it turns out bad, it’s proof that I need a glycol chiller next. 😈

I'm struggling with closed pressure transfers on my CF5 (I apologize as I'm sure this is covered somewhere in the 67 pages of this topic, but I couldn't find it. Could be I'm a poor searcher) I've done them successfully on my SS Brewtech, but I never get a flow going on the CF5. First I thought it was dry hopping as my first failures were IPAs, but yesterday my Doppel Helles wouldn't go, so I had to do the old fashioned way of tub in the keg. I had cold crashed to 35 degrees for 2 days. I also noticed some trub in the racking port when cleaning, is the issue too much trub? How would I avoid that? Even if I dumped, some would settle in that port. Any ideas?
Hagmanngr, sorry to hear about your transfer issue yet I’m laughing at the same time. I had this happen last month...twice in a row...not happy. The good news is there are so many experienced brewers on HomeBrewTalk you can always get assistance.

As you’ve read there are several potential causes. First off, FWIW if you’re using a TC fitting with a 1/4” mfl (like one with Spike transfer kit), stop using it - it’s too restrictive unless your beer is truly sediment free. I use 1/2“ barbed TC fitting for transfer.

I was stymied last time because I did 2 transfers back to back (5 psi). The first from SS Brewtech chronical BME - no issues at all. Then the Spike CF - flow stopped after approx 1 pint. Racking arm horizontal. Troubleshooting I found the ball lock fitting poppet assembly was clogged (it wasn’t the one used for SSBT transfer). I removed the poppet from ball lock, problem solved. At 3 psi the keg filled quickly.

Replies from others on racking arm position are spot on IMHO. Ben and others at Spike will probably always know more about brew than I ever will (likewise for others inputting here) so sometimes you need to ask around but tweak your own system to fit your process.

Hope this helps.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Racking arm arrived today! Your transfer system sounds awesome, wish I could try it but I'm filling 5 gallon kegs and my out post is about the height of the CF5 port, so no gravity for me. But I have a couple questions for curiosity sake:

1. Pressure fermentation (which Spike seems to discourage) are you using the Blichmann spunding valve to keep you at 6-8psi? And is that pressure sufficient to keep any liquid blowoff out of the valve and purge set up?

2. I've never used a spunding valve, but I am assuming that after you hit 6-8psi, it lets any CO2 out and it goes to your kegs, pressurizing both of them. Do you need a spunding valve on the 2nd keg, set at the same psi as the first valve? Otherwise couldn't they both get to pressure and the CO2 would have no where to go? (I wish I had paid attention in physics class)

I'd love to see a picture of that set up
Sorry, no picture. Yes, I have the Blichmann TC spunding valve and adjust to 6-8 psi. It’s spring loaded and you adjust by either tightening or loosening the blowoff portion of the valve. Initially I routed the blowoff tubing through sanitizer before going into the kegs to avoid any krausen infiltration, but seeing that the krausen line from a 5.5 gallon batch of 6.5% beer in my CF5 never has come near to the lid, I now go directly from the spunding valve to the first of two, 2.5 gallon kegs. The kegs are linked together, blowoff tubing to beer out post > gas post to beer out post of second keg > gas post of second keg to sanitizer. There is no pressure buildup in either keg as the co2 flows freely once past the spunding valve. I have the short extension legs on my conical and that gives me the clearance needed for the gravity transfer. I use gas tubing to connect everything which, for me, required 3/8” barbed keg connects to work (they are not the easiest to source). I initially used silicone tubing but have read that it is o2 permeable and not good for this application.

I'm using the SS Brew Tech spunding valve. It's graduated in .2 bar increments (just use a reference chart to dial it in where you want). With the plastic cup for Starsan (cover the holes around the middle part) it's easy to see what's going on. I also have the Spike gas manifold setups on both conical fermenters. Which means I can also see what the actual pressure is inside the fermenter.

Excess CO2 goes out of the spunding valve as bubbles (easy to see).

Spike states that their gas manifold is NOT a spunding valve. This is due to the PRV being set to trip at 15psi (working pressure of the conical fermenters). As long as you set your spunding valve to release below that, you'll be fine.

I don't see any need/reason to try putting the CO2 from fermentation into a keg. Breweries that capture CO2 also scrub it before compressing it for use later. Doing that at the home level (or nano brewery) is more expensive than it's worth. It would take a LOT of batches, and years, to make the hardware purchase worth it.

I use a pressure transfer to fill my keg(s) via a closed system. Which means the gas post on the keg has a tube going into a container of Starsan, which acts as an airlock. It also allows me to see when I'm starting to get beer foam hitting the gas post dip tube. At that point, I stop the transfer. The last few batches I've not needed to use any CO2 from a bottle to do the transfer to keg. It might have needed some CO2 as I was filling cans, but it wasn't all that much. I'm using my 10# CO2 bottle for transfers these days. My 5# is used to purge the cans before filling them.

Are you transferring carbonated beer into the keg? If so aren't you having issues with foaming in the keg? I use a spunding valve on my gas port on the receiving keg to maintain pressure about 2 psi below the fermentor pressure. Makes for a slow transfer but I get 41 pounds into a keg without beer foam coming out the gas port.

Are you transferring carbonated beer into the keg? If so aren't you having issues with foaming in the keg? I use a spunding valve on my gas port on the receiving keg to maintain pressure about 2 psi below the fermentor pressure. Makes for a slow transfer but I get 41 pounds into a keg without beer foam coming out the gas port.
Fully carbonated beer is moved from the CF10 into my serving kegs and into cans (using a Tapcooler filler). I'm getting full amounts of beer into the keg as well. Since the beer is chilled, I can typically watch the fill level from the outside. When it hits the 'full' level line I typically stop. I'm also getting some foam out of the hose on the gas port, but not a ton.

I've done this for more than a few batches to date with solid results. With using just the QD and line, into Starsan, I have less to cleanup at the end of the fill. It's easy to clean the gas QD once done.

Fully carbonated beer is moved from the CF10 into my serving kegs and into cans (using a Tapcooler filler). I'm getting full amounts of beer into the keg as well. Since the beer is chilled, I can typically watch the fill level from the outside. When it hits the 'full' level line I typically stop. I'm also getting some foam out of the hose on the gas port, but not a ton.

I've done this for more than a few batches to date with solid results. With using just the QD and line, into Starsan, I have less to cleanup at the end of the fill. It's easy to clean the gas QD once done.

What temp and pressure is the beer in the fermentor? Do you have a scale to weigh the keg before and after filling? Is the receiving keg chilled somehow?

I'm only doubting here because I'm thinking I could save a lot of time if I don't really need that spunding valve. I'd be pushing beer carbonated to 10-12 psi at 35F into a room temperature keg. Hmm sorta like filling a glass from a tap...how long is your transfer line?

Last two batches I've carbonated at 38F with the regulator set to 16psi (4psi wetting pressure for the carb stone, so 12psi going into the beer). I don't chill the keg, or use a scale. I watch both the condensation on the side and what's coming out of the gas port (tube into Starsan).

Current jumper from fermenter (racking arm) to keg is six foot range. Working very well so far. I'm using 3/16" ID [Ultra Barrier Silver) line. Since I have more of that on hand, I could always make the jumper longer (if needed).

Once the keg is filled, it goes into my keezer (40-41F) and onto the gas feed for the type. Ales go onto CO2, stouts/porters (or whatever else I decide) goes onto the nitro mix feed. Last keg I filled I pulled a glass from a few hours later. Damned perfect pour.

Spike is out of their castor sets and my search didn’t find the bolt size on their castors…

Before I dismantle a foot and run down to the local big box store to size it so I can order on line…

Does anyone already have the bolt size for the castors?

Spike is out of their castor sets and my search didn’t find the bolt size on their castors…

Before I dismantle a foot and run down to the local big box store to size it so I can order on line…

Does anyone already have the bolt size for the castors?
Confirmed 3/8-16. I just checked one of the feet I didn't use with my two CF10's.

Started carbonating the old ale in one of my CF10 fermenters this morning. Yes, the carb stone is a bit phallic, but... ;)
PXL_20210821_134708337.jpg

PXL_20210821_135056645.jpg

It's chilled to 36F for carbonating this batch. I'll let it run until at least tomorrow afternoon and pull a test sample (through the pigtail coil sampling valve setup). Since Spike calls out "less than 24 hours" for the carb stone to do it's job, I'll give it at least that before pulling the sample.

I have a Spike CF10 that I used for a ton of ales but never lager. Usually doing 5 gallon batches, and I have never had a problem aerating the wort just by a lot of splashing as I pump it in through the 4" top port, but now that I'm planning on brewing my first lager I want to make sure the yeast is set up for the best possible start.
Can someone explain the wort aeration process for a Spike Conical like I was 5 years old? What specific equipment I'll need, and the process? The only accessories I have currently are for doing closed pressure transfers (gas manifold, etc). Thanks a lot!

I use this to oxygenate my wort as it goes into the conical via the bottom (2" TC) port. It's attached to the wort out side of my plate chiller. I attached a QD on the gas manifold post with the length of tubing going into a container of sanitizer (Starsan) to make it a closed transfer. I've done this since getting the inline oxygenation kit. All you need is to get a 2" TC fitting to the type of QD you use. I'm using the ball lock style, so it was easy to get the fitting. If you wanted, you could get a barb fitting for it and just have the line fixed to the part that goes onto the conical lower port (that just sound so wrong).

Keep in mind, "splashing" will not get you more than 8ppm of O2 into your wort. Simply not possible to get more. With pure O2 (which I use) you can get significantly more oxygen into the wort. Not to mention how it's rather easy to do it this way. And you don't have the fermenter open for things to drop in. Once my fermenter is sanitized, it's only opened up (1.5" TC port on the lid) for the yeast addition. That's only until I get a yeast brink. Once I have that, it will be fully sealed post sanitization until getting cleaned post packaging.

When I was getting ready to place my two CF10 fermenters order, I worked with one of the rep's at Spike to make sure I had what I needed. That included the racking arm in each fermenter. I also got the document that shows how much it leaves behind.

IIRC, I spent about $2200 on the two fermenters fully setup. I only ordered one carbonating stone since I didn't expect to need to carbonate what's in both fermenters at the same time. Small savings. At least everything (over $100) ships free. ;)
FWIW, I never use my carb stone at all. I just swap out the blowoff tube for the pressure relief/gauge/gas post fitting and put a spunding valve on there near the end of Fermentation. Get some natural carbonation and no dealing with cleaning that stone!

You're going to love your new fermenters though

I have a Spike CF10 that I used for a ton of ales but never lager. Usually doing 5 gallon batches, and I have never had a problem aerating the wort just by a lot of splashing as I pump it in through the 4" top port, but now that I'm planning on brewing my first lager I want to make sure the yeast is set up for the best possible start.
Can someone explain the wort aeration process for a Spike Conical like I was 5 years old? What specific equipment I'll need, and the process? The only accessories I have currently are for doing closed pressure transfers (gas manifold, etc). Thanks a lot!

Like you were five:

-Buy cheap red bernzomatic oxygen tank from home depot
-buy a regulator for it
-attach a piece of tubing to the regulator
-buy a small carbonation stone
-fit the carbonation stone to the other end of the tubing
-while you're transferring wort into the fermenter, soak the tubing and oxygen stone in star san for a good long time
-pitch your yeast
-drop the tubing in through either of the two ports in the lid until you hear a splashy sound
-turn the knob on your regulator until you hear a bubbly sound
-count to 15 Mississippi
-turn off the gas
-pull the tube and stone out of your wort
-close up your fermenter and wash your tube and stone immediately

Done

Like you were five:

-Buy cheap red bernzomatic oxygen tank from home depot
-buy a regulator for it
-attach a piece of tubing to the regulator
-buy a small carbonation stone
-fit the carbonation stone to the other end of the tubing
-while you're transferring wort into the fermenter, soak the tubing and oxygen stone in star san for a good long time
-pitch your yeast
-drop the tubing in through either of the two ports in the lid until you hear a splashy sound
-turn the knob on your regulator until you hear a bubbly sound
-count to 15 Mississippi
-turn off the gas
-pull the tube and stone out of your wort
-close up your fermenter and wash your tube and stone immediately

Done
Perfect. Especially the "splashy sound"! Thanks.

Perfect. Especially the "splashy sound"! Thanks.

In seriousness though, this has gotten me through my last 30 or so batches in my CF5 without any issues.

I'll admit that I'm fairly lax in cleaning my stone compared to some. I just soak it in star san before and after use and burp a little oxygen through it in the star san. You'll see recommendations to boil it before every use or soak it in lye after every use etc, so ymmv. I've never gotten an infected batch from it so until that happens I'm going to keep on trucking

Screw the Benzomatic type tanks and regulators with zero regulation capabilities. Get an oxygen tank from your local welding supply store and a regulator that is in Lpm (liters per minute). That will actually be 100000x better. You won't be wasting the little red oxygen bottles left and right.

Also, infuse oxygen BEFORE you pitch the yeast. Not after.

There are companies selling the oxygen wands (stone on a stainless wand). Those are typically 3/16" OD tubes. Same as the ID of your standard liquid tubing when kegging. So easy as all hell to get (by the foot at your LHBS).

With my setup, I set the infusion rate depending on the recipe/OG. Since I get my wort chilled in as little as five minutes (for ~8.5-9 gallons going right into the conical) it's not running for long. With the shutoff on the setup I have, I can stage everything and then simply open that valve as the wort begins to flow out the chiller. I turn it off when done, before disconnecting from the O2 bottle (I made a QD post adapter for my regulator).

Sure, you COULD do it the cheap and dirty way. I just don't see the point for that. ;)

FWIW, I never use my carb stone at all. I just swap out the blowoff tube for the pressure relief/gauge/gas post fitting and put a spunding valve on there near the end of Fermentation. Get some natural carbonation and no dealing with cleaning that stone!

You're going to love your new fermenters though
I use the carb stone on every batch. Even fermenting under pressure. I don't use blowoff tubes either. Even with the residual CO2 volumes in the beer, it still needs CO2 to carbonate fully. With the carbonation stone I can get the batch fully carbonated in 2-3 days. Which means, as soon as the keg is in the keezer it can go on tap and glasses poured. I also can off conical, which also makes things a lot easier. I pull 2.5-3 gallons into keg, the rest gets canned.

I also set the fermenting pressure depending on the recipe and if I want esters from the yeast or not. If I do, I set the pressure level low. If not, I set it higher. I'm also not swapping out ports/fittings in the conical lid once the yeast goes in. Or at least not unless I'm doing a dry hop addition (CO2 purged dry hopping). Even then, the butterfly valve is installed right after the yeast goes in, and capped. So fully sealed (and sanitized). I actually dry hopped my English bitter earlier tonight, after harvesting the yeast from it.

With the carbonating (fully) in just a couple/few days (in fermenter) my grain to glass time is shortened. I also don't need to do the 'rapid forced carbonate' dance. Or change out the corny keg lid for one of the carbonating lids available (did that for a few batches before getting the conicals).

Back