Spiegelau stout glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
Anyone else have one of these? I bought one at Left Hand Brewing when I was there last month. It is actually very nice for stouts...the shape of the glass causes a cascading effect every time you tip it to drink and then set it back upright, essentially reforming the head somewhat every time you take a drink. But, the glass seems very thin...I'm afraid I'm going to break it one of these days without much effort. By comparison, the tulip glass I picked up at Odell Brewing seems like a battle tank...thick and sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It looked similar to the IPA glass they made last year with DFH and SN. If it is of similar thickness (or thinness rather), you will be fine. It feels thin but I've a set for about a year without any issues.

I will be getting 2 of these on Sunday. I have my stout ready to go.

I might use them for beers other than stouts so shhhh don't tell anyone

Yeah, I read they add nickel to the glass to increase the strength while keeping it so thin and light.

I have both the stout and ipa glasses, they're nice.

No, there's no nickel added to Spiegelau glass. Yes, they are more durable than they appear.

From the presentation I attended last year by one of their reps, the glass they source starts "unusually pure" from the mines. The "blue/ green" tint that is seen in some "colorless" glass (like a standard pint glass edge-on) is an effect of impurities. On a molecular level, those same impurities also encourage lots of crystalline layers which are weak-points on impact, thus high quality Riedel or Spiegelau glass is actually stronger than 'standard' glass while also having improved qualities in lightness, clarity, and thinness, which effects liquid delivery and heat transfer from glass to liquid.

Check here under "superior glass differences" for microscopic comparison shots.

You're right, Spiegelau should've offered me a gig.

Got 2 on Sunday and did a side by side with my stout. My regular glass is a newcastle geordie schooner. It really does what it says. Smelled better, tasted better and maintained head all of the way to the bottom. I dont know if these were worth $10 a piece but they do make a difference

Back