Autumn Seasonal Beer Spicy Autumn Biere de Garde (Les Cousins Dangereux)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italarican

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 029 (Kolsch)
Yeast Starter
Yes (1L)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 57F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 34F
Tasting Notes
Rich, liquid toffee, dark fruits, toast, subtle earthiness. Lingering sweet & pepper spiciness is prominent but not sharp. Rich but balanced.
I wanted a rich, malty but crisp pumpkin beer. I first made this with roasted butternut squash and felt like it added nothing. I ditched any attempts at squash or pumpkin and chose to go with a "fall spice" profile of cinnamon, peppers, & coffee. The recipe below hit exactly how I wanted!

I got the Chocolate Habanero peppers from my friend's garden. They tend to be slightly earthier & smokier than a regular habanero, but I could see going with regular habaneros if chocolate are not available. The beer already has plenty going on!

I had initially planned for 1 lb of Biscuit, but I miscounted how much I had, so I made up the difference with 1/2 lb Victory. You can always use 1 lb of whichever you prefer.

8.0 lbs Pilsner
3.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Biscuit
0.5 lbs Victory
6 oz Special B
2 oz Carafa Special II

0.4 oz Galena 60 min
0.2 oz Galena 20 min
0.2 oz Galena 5 min

1 Whirfloc tablet 10 min

2 2-inch Cinnamon sticks, 12 days secondary
2 Chocolate Habanero peppers, 2 days secondary
1 Thai Chili pepper, 2 days secondary
Cold brew coffee (35g coffee in 20 oz pre-boiled water), mixed at kegging/bottling

Kolsch Yeast (I use WLP 029)

Mash 150F, 60 min
Batch sparge 168F, 10 min

Cinnamon sticks were soaked in vodka and added during lagering (so Day 9 of secondary @ 34F)
Peppers were soaked in vodka and added on final 2 days of lagering

My friends cannot stop raving about it! This is the first beer in 6 years of brewing where I have no interest in changing things next time around.

TPzm8r0.jpg

Last edited:
wow! this is truly unique...how spicy would you say it turned out (1-10)?
I was reading about a commercial habanero beer the other day where the brewer said each pepper varies, to add slowly...

wow! this is truly unique...how spicy would you say it turned out (1-10)?
I was reading about a commercial habanero beer the other day where the brewer said each pepper varies, to add slowly...

You probably want to de-seed any peppers you put into the beer. I'd also recommend a gentile swirl and taste every 24 hours once the peppers are added until it hits your desired spice level. You could also reduce the number of peppers.

As someone who usually orders thai/indian food at an 8/10 spice level, I'd probably put this at a 7 spice level. The heat is there and very noticeable, but only in the finish. It's a heat that lingers for quite a while but doesn't sting. Most importantly (& what I was going for), it remains drinkable. My friends go for multiple repours. Usually for habanero beers, I find it a chore once you get to 1/2 pint.

Gotcha. I’m a definite fan of Ballast Point Sculpin, but the Habanero Sculpin was too much for me...although I usually only order a 5/10 at Thai restaurants... :D

What temp did you ferment at? How long total was it in the secondary (prior or after additions)?

This sounds delicious

Gotcha. I’m a definite fan of Ballast Point Sculpin, but the Habanero Sculpin was too much for me...although I usually only order a 5/10 at Thai restaurants... :D

Habanero Sculpin is what I was thinking: I can only have a few sips of that. The sting and burn is too much for regular sipping. This beer is much less than that. Plus, the spice fades with time (was already less spicy after 1 week). Still, if you're less into spice, I probably would stay at a max of 2 de-seeded peppers total, maybe 36-48 hours.

What temp did you ferment at? How long total was it in the secondary (prior or after additions)?

This sounds delicious

Primary = 21 days at 57F
Secondary = 21 days at 34 F

Cinnamon sticks were added on Day 9 of secondary; the peppers on Day 19

Great! I'd love to hear how it works for you or how any changes work.

I will keep you posted I will be brewing this next weekend. As I see it the only change I will make for sure is going to the full pound of biscuit vs the split.

I love the heat you described, I have had a bunch of pepper beers and the best always have the heat in the throat

Nice! I'm looking forward to hearing your experience, however it ends up.

I brought a growler of this to our local Oktoberfest since our homebrew club had a tent. This beer killed and was gone 10 minutes into general admission (the VIPs did their damage).

Good deal. The OG in my recipe is for 75% efficiency, but I actually overshot it this last time (closer to 1.075). There's enough malt complexity that you'll be good. The initial punch from the spices fades a tad after 2-3 weeks either way.

Back