Spicing up my Cider with Math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waarhorse777

Reaction score
Wanted to run this by you all to make sure I'm correct. I'm getting ready to add flavors, sugars, spices to my Cider and I want to verify that my flavored sample will be exactly the same as the just over 3/4 gallons I'll have left in the carboy. This is my thinking behind it as I plan to use an invert sugar, apple concentrate, possible vanilla or cinnamon extracts and perhaps french oak extract (if that is ready).

1. Weigh empty carboy
2. Weigh empty tasting vessel
3. Add x ounces of Cider to tasting vessel and weigh.
4. Subtract weight of vessel from Cider leaving weight of sample.
5. Weigh full carboy (after sample removed) and subtract weight of empty carboy for weight of volume.
6. Math: Divide sample size by volume left in carboy for number of sample sizes
7. Record drops or ml of each additive put int the sample to get the taste you like.
8. Multiply amount of additive used in sample by number of sample sizes left in carboy and add to carboy for proper flavoring.

Does this check out? I understand the process of measuring of S.G. of sample vs S.G. of what's in carboy to match but I'm thinking, if using multiple additives, how would one S.G. reading be of any use?

Of course my chemist brother says, "Where is your graduated carboy?"
Way expensive Carboy still missing lines of delineation

Let me know if I'm way off base here or if there is a more precise way to do this. If need be I can post an example with actual numbers as well.

ed55ea282ad8137f5645094dfbc6aa5b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why weigh the Carboy? Why not figure out a sample size with the flavoring and then multiply that by the number of samples in your total? I think your missing the kiss portion of good engineering.

Why weigh the Carboy? Why not figure out a sample size with the flavoring and then multiply that by the number of samples in your total? I think your missing the kiss portion of good engineering.

My apologies for not mentioning: the carboy is not full and the amount inside is unknown. Somewhere between 3/4 and a full gallon. Instead of dumping the contents out into a measuring container and introducing more O2, I am trying to find an easier way than disturbing the must.

I hope that helps to clarify.

You want to weigh an empty carboy and weigh the full carboy to get the weight of the cider in the carboy. Then you want to convert that weight to a volume. You can use the density of water and the SG of your cider. Get the volume in liters.

There is a certain amount of error in your tare weight of the carboy. But you can't fix that unless you empty the carboy.

And you want to weigh your empty sample container and weigh the full sample container to get the weight of the sample. Convert the sample weight to a volume too.

Add the spices, etc. to your sample to get the flavor. Weigh your spices, etc. in milligrams.

Calculate the concentration of spices, etc. in the sample in mg/L (this is also ppm).

Add the weight of spices, etc. to your carboy to achieve the same concentration.

Btw: it's not math, it's chemistry. Get your chem bro to show you his lab skills.

Back