Spicing/Fruiting proportions... recipe help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mro77102

Reaction score
Okay, my friend (who i usually brew with) and i were experimenting with saison recipes last night.

we experimented with a bottle of saison Dupont and one of the St Fueillen (sp?). After several test cups, we decided that we liked the Peach/Vanilla/Safflower (cheaper saffron imitation). It may sound like an odd combination, but we both loved the way that the mix tasted.

I found this recipe on the board:
--------------------------------
from Clone Brews:

.5 lb vienna (steep)

5.75 lb x-light DME
1 lb wheat DME
1 lb clear candi sugar

1.4 oz Styrian Goldings (7 AAU) 60 min
.5 oz EKG 15 min
.5 oz bitter orange peel 15 min
1 tsp irish moss 15 min
.25 oz EKG 5 minutes

Yeast from Saision Dupont bottle or Wyeast 1214
--------------------------------

My main concern is what proportions fruit/spice to beer? and When to add fruit (are canned sliced peaches ok? fresh better?) and spices, and for how long?

when we tried it last night, the peach and vanilla were noticable, but not in your face, and the safflower added a nice musty spicy bite on the end, but it was the most subtle of all the flavors.

I know this might be vague, but any insight on fruiting or spicing 5 gal batches will be greatly appreciated, particularly with a saison....

Thank you!

add to secondary, I like to use Oregon fruit Puree, can be found in supermarket fruit aisle. Id go with one can for 5 gal. This will give you a good peach flavor and aroma. As for the spices. Add a little bit. I am talking grams. Remember you can always add more but you cant take it out.

cool, thanks for the tips... i have heard to steer clear of purees though because it will turn into a gooey mess in the carboy... have you heard of this?

The puree will settle down to the bottom. I have done it a few times before. but if you are worried about that you could put it into cheese cloth. The reason i use puree is because it adds more flavor. If it is just slices you don't get as much surface area/exposure to the beer. You will still get results but not as much. Also i just thought of, you might want to add pectin enzyme if you don't you beer to be cloudy. This haze is only comedic though nothing to really worry about if you don't mind.

Back