Spent Grain Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobSeibel

Reaction score
I feel so bad always throwing out all that spent grain.... I have had muffins made with it that were delicious at a brewery once...

Any body have some recipes that they can personally vouch for?

Thanks
Bob

Draftmag has a pretty good spent grain pizza dough recipe.

(Copied from their website)

Makes: Makes 1 1⁄3 pounds

Ingredients:
¾ cup lukewarm water (105-115 degrees)
1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
1 teaspoon sugar
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 cup spent grain
½ teaspoon salt

Instructions:
• Food processor method: Pulse water, yeast and sugar in a food processor to combine and let stand until the yeast starts to bubble, about 5 minutes. Add flours, spent grain and salt and pulse until it forms a ball, then process for 30 seconds. (You may need to adjust the water or flour depending on the type of grain used.)
• By-hand method: Whisk water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl and let stand until the yeast starts to bubble, about 5 minutes. Stir in flours, spent grain and salt. Dump onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
• Place the dough in a large bowl coated with oil, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. To make the dough ahead of time, cover and refrigerate the unrisen dough for up to 1 day, or tightly wrap the unrisen dough in oiled plastic wrap, freeze for up to 3 months, and defrost the dough overnight in the refrigerator. Let the dough come to room temperature before rolling.
• When ready to bake, roll the dough into a circular slab and place on a pizza stone or tray. Top with your choice of cheeses, sauces, veggies and meats, and bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted.

Do you have a mill? If so, dry the grains back out and mill them down to flower. You can make anything with them then! :mug:

If you don't have a mill you should try to get one. I bought a cereal killer mill last summer and it's been great getting to control the crush. It also adds another hands-on part to brewing which is always awesome too. Being able to make flour makes the possibilities pretty endless with what you can do with the spent grains.

Brooklyn Brewery has a spent grain chef section of their website...http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/
Lots of good stuff here! They also describe how to dry the grains & grind into flour. But I spread the grains on cookie sheets with low sides, dry'em in a 200F oven. Turn one an hour till dry & fluffy. I use a Mr Coffee burr grinder on the finest espresso setting to grind into flour. I doubled their spent grain pretzel bun recipe to make'em big enough for bbq'd burgers. Good stuff...
And spent grain biscuit crust pizza;

Back