Spelunking with Toppling Goliath and Pulpit Rock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrE_the_Great

Reaction score
I spent Saturday in Decorah, IA with a good friend of mine. We visited Toppling Goliath\'s Taproom and sampled full pours of just about everything on tap. Got to hang out in their test kitchen with the owner for a bit and talk about their small batch testing procedures. Had a delicious Naughty 90 that\'s made me think about trying a smoked beer this summer.

Went ice-cave exploring after Toppling Goliath...I\'ll admit up front tipsy caving isn\'t a good idea. Bruised up my left side when I slipped on an long incline and slid 20 feet down into one of the caves before stopping in the pitch black because I\'d dropped my flashlight along the way. Cave was really beautiful once my buddy and I got lights going, but climbing back out was tricky of course. Sobered up real quick after that...

...until we arrived at Pulpit Rock. Wanted to taste my way through their tap as well, but I started with a Penelope. A small test batch of a Brett/kettle soured Pale Ale...which I just kept drinking the rest of the evening. Figures it\'s the only beer they won\'t fill a growler of.

Hit up an adult book store on the way home. For no better reason than it was there along the way. That was fun late at night after all the above adventures, nice people. Ha!

All in all a great Saturday and I\'d recommend if you\'re close you head to Decorah soon. Good beers that can\'t be had anywhere else.

Cheers!:mug:

Let's see...today is Monday...

2 days!

lol, was first time. Very stupid move, as I already admitted.

Here's a shot I took from the first stop showing the entrance at the top.

IMG_8273.jpg

I'd love to share some pics of my caving adventures, but my friend's webserver with the gallery is down and I don't have access to my files at home right now. It's been a few years since I've gone. Being in Michigan doesn't give a lot of access to caves. We used to weekened in S. Indiana, KY, and WV, but the price of gas and kids growing up kind of stalled that hobby out.

Now with the White Nose Syndrome affecting all the bats, I hesitate to plan another trip.

It was a great time. I'd definitely do it again. I'll need to spend some time learning more about equipment, safety, etc... and do it right next time. I really did enjoy the experience.

There are definitely some tenets to caving that most experienced cavers tend to follow. The National Speleological Society has some good pointers. (They put on a good party at convention each year as well!)

3 points of contact when climbing
Multiple lights (LEDs were not quite on the market when we started)
Proper safety wear, including helmets
Go with experienced partner(s)
Make sure someone knows where you are going and what time you should be back
Don't kick the keystone

Those are the basics. Get a map, if possible. Take a look behind you after each turn/crossing so you can remember what the way back looks like (Take pictures, these days!)

Latest posts

Back