Specknickal Tessifications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
The formulate vs. follow recipe question got me to thinking, I wonder (as a formulator/tweaker) how many other people here brew the way I mostly do now, which is to take a basic recipe or kit, and throw a bunch of interesting stuff in it to see what happens. My recipes seem to have "bunch of ..." and "handful of..." in them quite often. Are you guys all more concerned about exact amounts (ie replicability) or do you fly by the seat of your pants? :)

I record exact items, amounts and times so I could repeat a recipe. I tend to up the LME or DME from formulas and experiment a lot with different hops. I try to keep ABV above 6% and seems I seldom go above 8% I also keep a good record of ferment times and temperatures.

Right now while doing extract with some specailty grains I dont really keep good records of what I used and how I did stuff, but after the switch to all grains I plan on keeping better records. I guess I sorta look at extracts kinda teaching myself the basics and my move to all grains as sharpening up the skills

I usually read a few recipes and adjunct descriptions to learn a bit about what the different stuff does. Then I get an idea of what I want and shoot for that. As for precision, I usually take pretty accurate measurements of the ingredients, temps, gravities, etc. The random part for me is what goes in, not how much.

I record my recipes and most are based off of other recipes with added malt, hops, spices, etc. The only time I don't add or subtract is when I am going to do a clone brew since the point is to make it taste like whatever you are trying to brew of course I'll change it after it's done if it doesn't taste like I think it should.

All of mine have been recipes that I used as a base, and changed a little here and there as my knowledge increased. The only exception was my first batch, which was right to the letter of the recipe. I have been trying to keep notes, but I need to get better at it. I have gotten permission from SWMBO to build a brew room in the basement, so I plan on getting a good system together for when I finally have my own space. for now, it is all on Post-Its that I scribble on while I am brewing.

i do both. sometimes i don't change a thing. like a recipe from my LHBS. sometimes i see one i'd like to try and put my twist on it. i keep notes on everything from a brew sessions to tasting notes. it's the only way to improve on something IMHO.

I keep detailed brewing notes in a loose leaf notebook. The particularily good recipes are placed in clear plastic protectors and get indexed by type. But for the most part I am experimenting far more than attempting to repeat recipes. I am doing considerable types of liquid yeasts and have gotten into dry hopping everything. Matterof fact the cost of hops is driving up my brewing costs considerably.

Back