Specific hops for san diego?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooperu

Reaction score
I have had a garden here in my backyard for a few years now. I've been building up a trellis these past few days, but i am wondering if i should plant any specific strands for my area of san diego. Wondering which might grow better, or which strands wont do so well. Any suggestions???

I only tried 2 varieties last year. Cascades did really well which I have heard from others. Actually just saw someone selling rhizomes for a dollar on craigslist today. I also tried Goldings and they started ok but nothing like the Cascades.

I have Cascade (2nd year), Tetanger and Northern Brewer (both 3rd year) growing in my backyard. I am looking to see how the Tet will do this year (since I just transplanted from half whiskey barrels to the ground) but the Cascade did pretty well. The Northern Brewer was slow last year, but thats probably cause its still in a barrel.

Whats the best planting season for us? Do you guys have drip systems installed for watering them? I'm hoping to start a garden, though I don't think I'll be able to plant in time for this year as I won't even move in to the new house until early April.

I dont have a drip system, but I work from home so I can water as needed when it gets really hot. I try to soak the ones in the ground every couple days and I water the one in the half whiskey barrel every day. (At least now when its raining.

I use a drip system that runs every other day and if it is particularly hot that day I will go and give them an extra drink. From what I have read they are a glorified weed and just want as much water and sun as possible. And a little plant food goes a long way. I could actually see substantial growth after each feeding.

Grem,
I think you would be fine to plant in April. We have a very long growing season and I have heard of people planting into June.

Good luck and I hope I can get an English-type variety to take off this year. I'm thinking of Yakima Goldings anyone have any luck with these?

I use a drip system that runs every other day and if it is particularly hot that day I will go and give them an extra drink. From what I have read they are a glorified weed and just want as much water and sun as possible. And a little plant food goes a long way. I could actually see substantial growth after each feeding.

Grem,
I think you would be fine to plant in April. We have a very long growing season and I have heard of people planting into June.

Good luck and I hope I can get an English-type variety to take off this year. I'm thinking of Yakima Goldings anyone have any luck with these?

Thanks for the advice :) Now I just have to convince SWMBO that planting a garden is OK to be higher on the priority list for me than she would like!

Did you order them online? or do any of the LHBS have them?
I want to plant some Goldings this year, I think I'll stop by Homebrew Mart and see what they have.
And let me know how the Goldings work for you.

I'm in Los Angeles, and last year I tried Fuggle, Goldings, Tettnang, and Horizon. Of these, the Fuggle died after it got hot here, but it was also in the full sun most of the day. The Horizon never died back fully... it just kept going, it has full sun most of the day too. The Tettnang was the only one to produce cones, which wasn't what I was expecting for a first year planted in early May. The Golding did fine. Both the Goldings and the Tettnang were in shade for a good part of the day, so I'm guessing that's why they did alright as I've heard these varieties doing poorly in our hot and dry climate.

Yeah my hops were in full sun. So this year for my Goldings I might want to figure out how to shade them.
This is my setup the fence is on the north and west side. So this area gets lots of sun.
wa0v83.jpg

Maybe I'll just cover with a shade fabric.

Did you order them online? or do any of the LHBS have them?
I want to plant some Goldings this year, I think I'll stop by Homebrew Mart and see what they have.
And let me know how the Goldings work for you.

American Homebrew in Kearny Mesa has them, but they go fast!!!

So you might want to call to see if there still in...

Home Brew Mart in San Diego is suppose to get theirs any day now, they were expecting them on March 23rd. As of 1100 March 24th they still aren't in. May have to check out that guy on Craigs list.

Update
after calling American Homebrew on dunnright00's post, I now have 3 Hops Rhyzomes sitting in planters. Centennial, Brewers Gold and Cascade. Thanks for the Tip! Oh and they are $5.50 ea.

Yeah I decided to get my Goldings at American Homebrew Supply. And they are being planted today. Also a good tip for everyone in San Diego. At the Miramar landfill, San Diego residents get 2 free cubic yards of compost and 1 free cubic yard of mulch. You must bring your ID and a bucket.
Which is perfect for planting hops, I have read dig 1-1.5' cubic hole and fill with 2/3s compost then the top 1/3 good planting soil. And then top with mulch but do not cover the rhizome. The mulch helps retain water but may be too moist around the base and cause mildew.
Looking forward to see everyone's progress.

Oh Man, I forgot all about that Almighty. I'll have to get up there and grab some Compost from them. Still trying to decide exactly where to plant mine once they get started, so I have time.

Last year, I did Centennial and Chinook.

The Centennials died back early and didn't do much...but are the first to sprout this year.

The Chinook took off like crazy: Over 20' tall as a first year plant! They grow in 20" pots, back-yard, north facing.

Here they were up on the balcony:

San Diego can't be that different than growing here in LA. After growing hops for 2 years now, I've noticed my "C" hops do better. Cascade, Centennial and Chinook. My Willamette have done little, as well as my horizon. My first year Nugget and Golding did fairly well, so I'm waiting to see how they do in their second year. I just planted 2 Columbus rhizomes today, so we'll see how they do.

The biggest thing is just keeping them watered in the summer. I will usually water them every other day, unless it gets insanely hot, then it's every day.

Well, I hope min gets enough sun. It's on the west side of the house, and it gets a good amount of sun from 11-5. As the bines go up they will get more.

891d2ed346bb__1269539389000.jpeg

Just ordered 4 varieties from freshops.com (cascade, chinook, nuggett, and kent goldings). i can't wait to plant them. it'd be great to get a SD hops swap together once harvest comes.

FWIW, I hear the english varieties do OK, but not great here where it's warm/dry.

Ugh, just moved in to my new house and there is NO WAY I'll have this yard prepped for planting this year :( Oh well, always next year.

I just moved to Campo and planted about an acre of Fuggle, Cascade, Centenial, Brewers Gold, Willamitte, Kent Golding. Most are second year plants. I will have to see what grows up here. Lots of sun, but colder nights.

Well, I hope min gets enough sun. It's on the west side of the house, and it gets a good amount of sun from 11-5. As the bines go up they will get more.

891d2ed346bb__1269539389000.jpeg

Good Looking planters! I think I found where I'm planting mine in the back yard but have to trim some tree branches to get more sun light. As it stands they would only get sun from 10 AM till about 3 PM. Would that be enough?

My order is on the way. They will be in the ground this weekend. 3 Centennials, 2 nuggets. Doing a 20' 4x4 concreted 3' with a 10' 4x4 accross the top. Eyelets on the crosspiece to lower the coir twine. I am growing facing S-SE. I have read that 15 hrs of daylight is optimal for flower growth/yeild, but less hrs doesn't equal failure. It just equals less yeild. 5 hrs though seems a too little.

Yah, I have them in a good spot but they wont really get anything over 6 hours of light until they reach 4 feet tall, as they get bigger they will get sunlight all day.

In OB - planted this Sterling rhizome on 4/25 - first bine up last night -

Also planted a cascade about three weeks ago - no love.

To many great hops!:mug:

sterling_bud_4_2010.jpg

In San Marcos - One out three willamette rhizomes has 2 shoots. They broke ground on 5/7/10. Nothing from the 2 nugget.

Yah, I have them in a good spot but they wont really get anything over 6 hours of light until they reach 4 feet tall, as they get bigger they will get sunlight all day.

That sounds like my sit. The Brewers Gold, and the Goldings are taking off. The I hope they get enough sun....

Sterling (taller plant) and Nugget Hops (red ribbon) ~6weeks since first shoot - I have a catepillar problem - anybody else?

Ideas?

Happy Hop-ping.

hops_upland_06_10.jpg

sterling_06_2010.jpg

I had some caterpillars last year, but I haven't seen any yet this year. My 2nd year Cascade is about 2 1/2 feet tall and my 3rd year Tet and Northern Brewer are still within a couple inches off the ground. (They were late starters last year as well) Ill try and get some pictures up tomorrow. I am out in Easy County so its starting to get hot out here.

Mine started to look like the caterpillars took a few bites but didn't like the taste. Only a few of the bottom leaves were attacked, and now they are gone. Not sure the best way to get rid of them.

My three hops as of this morning. Northern Brewer in a half barrel, Cascade and then my recently transplanted into the ground Tettnanger. The NB and Tet havent done too much lately, but the Cascade is taking off.

The 2 Willamette left from last year just started back to life. Each has 5-6 bines half to an inch tall. I had 1 willamette and 2 nugget that didn't grow last year. I just got 3 magnum rhizomes to get in the ground this weekend. The 2 willamette that dd grow last year 1 got 3' the other 4'. Hopefully this year will be better! :cross:

Riverside here. Just planted 4 each, Cascade, Columbus, and Centennial on the south west side of the backyard along the pool fence. I have a large yard on an old orange grove. Soil is great, I have quite a few Citris/Avocado trees and they grow like crazy here. We will see how these do. Would like to build up a stash for dry hopping.

I have Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook which I planted last year. I think I read some bad info. and cut them back to 1 bine per rhizome. The cascade and centennial did fine but the chinook didn't get to big or produce. However this year they are coming back and the cascade and centennial are just starting to grow, there's a few shoots with leaves coming up and a couple spikes coming through on the chinook. I am going to let them all grow this year and not cut them back, treating them as first year plants. We shall see.

Toecutter, I am curious how the blood orange hefe turned out. I was thinking of making something along those lines. How did you add the blood oranges? Steep them and add to primary or secondary?

Toecutter, I am curious how the blood orange hefe turned out. I was thinking of making something along those lines. How did you add the blood oranges? Steep them and add to primary or secondary?

Hefe came out great. 1 keg on tap, and another in reserve. for 10 gallons I used 8 oranges. halve them and clean out the insides. then peel the skins (zest) by using a potato peeler. boil a small pan of water. turn off the flame, add the zest and BO insides to a hop bag and soak a few minutes in the hot water to sterilize. Then dump it all in the primary and pitch your yeast. Not sure if it was the oranges, but it fermented violently, like a volcano.

Back