specific gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan99

Reaction score
I was following a recipe for a steemer with some variations and the specific gravity was way higher than stated in the book. The only thing I did off the recipe was add an additional 0.5lb. of extract. I had an O.G. of 1.101 at 73 degrees and the book called for 1.068. How can I be that far off?

Extract recipes are generally never far off in specific gravity. How much extract do you have in your batch? A half pound should not raise it that much. Was it mixed well?

yes, I mixed it well. I put it in primary lastnight. Is it too late to add water?

As stated, extract recipes are never that far off. It has to be a mixing or volume problem. If your wort volume is correct, leave it alone.

How much volume do you have now? How much volume was the recipe designed for?

OK. Are you sure you are reading your hydrometer correctly? The photo below is of a standard hydrometer. A specific gravity of 1.101 would mean that the wort level is approximately at the red line. EDIT: Actually, the line is at 1.11 but its close enough.

Yes, I read it correctly. If it is 1.11 or 1.101 it still seems extreamly high. The recipe called for 1.068 O.G. I am just going to leave it be unless anyone thinks I should add some more water. But I don't want to aggitate it because it has already started fermenting. The only thing I can think of is that I may not have strained it enough. Some of the hop particals are still in it. I poured my wort through a sterilized hop bag from the kettle to the primary. I'm not sure if that was enough. Should I take anoter reading now that it has settled overnight? Or will that be too invasive?

These are my brewing notes:

Ingredients for Steemer:
1 1/4 lbs. -english crystal malt
1/4 lb. - chocolate malt
6.6 lbs. - Munton's light malt extract
3lbs. - English light dry malt extract
1oz. cascade / 1 oz. chinook (boiling)
1oz. cascade / 1 oz. chinook (finishing)
1 pack dry lager yeast

2gal in pot add grain bag and bring to a boil.
at boil remove bag and sparge w/ 1qt. 180 degree water
remove from heat and add extract
return to heat bring to light boil add hops
start yeat in 1/2 cup 93 degree water 15min.
boil 10 min and remove 1 1/2 cups for yeast starter
combine to make 2 cup starter when both at approx. 80 degrees
boil vigorsly for 50min.
remove foam
add finishing hops and boil 5 more min.
pull off heat and rest covered for 20min.
cool and add yeast starter when both are at approx. 80 degrees
strain into primary and top off to 5.5gal
aerate then put on airlock

I took my O.G. right after aeration-1.101

Thank you for all replies.

Dunno. I ran your recipe through Beertools and get just slightly higher than the 1.068.

You have close to 10 lbs. of extract in this recipe. I ran it through Promash and it was 1.086 for 5.5 gallons. One other thing, I would not recommend that you add grains to boiling water. I woulld shoot for 155° for about 30-40 minutes.

I didn't add the grains to boiling water. I put them in 2gal of room temp water in the kettle and when it started to boil I pulled them. That's what the recipe called for. Shoreline Steamer pg. 323 of Brew-Master's Bible. Thank you for checking my recipe.

Back