Specific gravity help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkhomer

HammerdownWPS
Reaction score
Brewed Black IPA on 9/21. OG=1.075. Dry hopped and moved to secondary on 9/30. Gravity reading of 1.015 on 9/30. Airlock picked up a bit after transfer to secondary. Continued fermentation till 10/6 (no activity in airlock). Did not take a gravity reading. Cold crashed from 10/6 to 10/12. Combined 4 oz. of cane sugar and 4 GAL of wort. FG = 1.022.

I know I should have got a gravity reading before cold crashing and before I added priming sugar but I didn't. Could that final gravity reading be correct with the addition of 4 oz of cane sugar? I was expecting the beer to finish around 1.010 or 1.012.

Same hydrometer was used at 68 degrees F. Hydrometer cal is good. I've been struggling with hitting gravity.

Failed to mentioned wort was in fermentation chamber set at 68 degrees during fermentation. WLP001 with 2L yeast starter.

Brewed Black IPA on 9/21. OG=1.075. Dry hopped and moved to secondary on 9/30. Gravity reading of 1.015 on 9/30. Airlock picked up a bit after transfer to secondary. Continued fermentation till 10/6 (no activity in airlock). Did not take a gravity reading. Cold crashed from 10/6 to 10/12. Combined 4 oz. of cane sugar and 4 GAL of wort. FG = 1.022.

I know I should have got a gravity reading before cold crashing and before I added priming sugar but I didn't. Could that final gravity reading be correct with the addition of 4 oz of cane sugar? I was expecting the beer to finish around 1.010 or 1.012.

Same hydrometer was used at 68 degrees F. Hydrometer cal is good. I've been struggling with hitting gravity.

The reading is more than likely correct due to the addition of additional sucrose but you need to remember that that is going to be eaten off once bottled. Did you use a calculator to determine your addition amount and carbonation level?

The reading is more than likely correct due to the addition of additional sucrose but you need to remember that that is going to be eaten off once bottled. Did you use a calculator to determine your addition amount and carbonation level?
Yes I used a calculator. Shooting for 2.5 volumes of CO2. I just didn't think that small amount of sugar would cause gravity to go up a ~ hundreth.

Latest posts

Back