Specialty Grains that go well with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeBeer

Reaction score
What are some good specialty grains which I can buy that go well with dry Pale Malt Extract?
I've brewed only one batch so far, English Pale Ale (using Crystal 90L, Crystal 75/80L).
I've just started and into DME brewing only. All grain might take a few more batches of extract practice :)
Thank you!

I don't know of any specialty grains that don't go well with DME. Which grains you choose will depend on the type of beer you want to make. In the middle of the brown bar just under the HomeBrewTalk logo there is a recipe section. Look through that and choose a recipe for extract that makes the kind of beer you like and get the grains specified in the recipe. Make sure you have the right hops for the recipe too.

If you really want to enjoy this hobby, I suggest you start reading some books - how to brew, brewing classic styles, etc and listening to brew strong podcasts and reading through the forums here more. Once you learn a foundation for how and why these ingredients come together, the doors will open wide for you. I swear, I'm not poking fun at you when I say this, just trying to give you an analogy to understand - but when you say, "what kind of specialty grains go well with ME" it's like saying "what kind of wet ingredients go well with flour" - it depends entirely on what you are trying to bake! Brownies will be different from a cake, and that will be different from bread and cookies, etc.

ALL of the specialty grains go well with DME. How you combine them produces different beers.

It appears that you are a recent beginner. I suggest that you brew kits or known recipes and learn procedures. After you get consistent results you can start to learn recipe building.

I totally agree. Look at the recipes for beeras you like & what their ingredients are. There's also a section at the top of this forum on grains & such About recipe formulation & ingredients descriptions. You can study that for some insights as well.

Now to be fair the OP asked what goes well *pale* DME and DME specifically vs. LME.

To which, the different extracts are not really distinct and precise entities. To use a cooking analogy, extracts are really like different variations of sugar with *lots* of overlap and interchangeabilty (more so than with sugars). All specialty grains go with all extracts.

Best two things to do is look at recipes (as stated by others) and to read up on the specialty grains individually.

Latest posts

Back