Speaking of my 3rd Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin_Yang

Reaction score
I came home this afternoon after work, to check on my latest batch (the honey wheat beer), and surprisingly no more bubbles. I brewed it late sat. nite, and sunday morning through this morning it was bubbling at about two bubbles per second, now all of a sudden nothing.

I cracked open the fermentor and there is a very thick healthy krausen, but why has the bubbling stopped? i checked the seal, by pressing down on the lid, and its tight because the bubbles re coming out of the airlock when pressed down on.

When i'm gone during the day i set the temp to 68, and while were home its usually 74. In case its the temp (which is unlikely) i just put it in my kitchen now, because i'm making something in the oven, so its nice and toasty there. Still no bubbling...

any suggestions?

68 is a fine temperature for ales- so don't get it "nice and toasty"- you'll ruin your beer. If there is a krausen, it's fermenting. Wait a few more days and take a s.g. I bet in a couple of days, it'll be done fermenting.

I don't know why you don't see bubbles, but it doesn't really matter. I've had beers ferment completely in less than 24 hours, but still kept it in the primary for a full week. Try not to worry about it- if it's a stuck fermentation (you'll know by the s.g. after a week or so), then you might have to take some action. But right now, it's fine.

Lorena

thanks lorena...ill take a hydrometer reading later, to have something to compare it to. the only reason im not too upset is because like i said there was a very thick good looking krausen on it.

24-36 hour fermentations are not all that uncommon for a low-medium OG beer (1.035 - 1.050) if either a healthy starter is pitched, or a good dry yeast used, or pitched onto a yeast cake from previous batch...

Temp seems fine, relax a few days, check the gravity, and rack to a secondary if indeed (and I'm betting it will be) done...

Back