Sparging Mistake...consequences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanick

Reaction score
So, I use a batch sparging method. I just brewed an amber ale last week and about day 4 or 5 into primary fermentation I realized I screwed up the sparge.

Pretty much, instead of rinsing the mash multiple times; I only did it once during the sparge. Know idea how I forgot, But I'm wondering what the possible consequences would be? I know that the gravity is gonna be vastly different than I anticipated (currently I have no way of knowing, my hydrometer broke).

So, other than different OG/FG are there any other problems I should anticipate?

Why would your gravity be off if you sparged with enough water?

You don't have to sparge multiple times, many people do it to increase their extraction efficiency.

There is evidence to support a higher wort quality from single sparge, or no sparge, just a single run off.

Anyhow, it sounds like you might want to do some reading on the subject to gain some clarification on the process.

Kaisers web page is awesome, the guy does more experiments than you can shake a stick at.

Regardless, if you did a single sparge with enough water, it is possible that your gravity is where it needs to be, it would jus take a little more grain to get there.

And get another freaking hydrometer, or refractometer, they are only like $30 on ebay.

Back