Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best method for sparging specialty grains is to place them in a strainer and simply pour the water over them and into the pot. The idea behind sparging is to "wash" the grains in order to get the most fermentables from them. I use a small strainer from target (about $5) that has long enough handles to rest on my brew kettle so I don't have to hold it while sparging. You can skip this step and just let the grains drain (don't squeeze them), but you'll get better beer if you sparge.

Sparging is simply the act of rinsing the grain to get all the fermentable sugar/flavor into your kettle. There are different methods of sparging but in this case, just put your grain bag in a strainer and slowly pour two gallons of 170 degree water thru it, letting it drain into your kettle. Do not squeeze the bag when your done, as this will extract excess tannins and other nasty stuff that you don't want in your beer.

Sparging is, as the jaded dog described above, would be similar to what all grain brewers would call fly sparge except that instead of pouring, they run it slowly and evenly over the grains to extract as much of the sugars and flavors as possible. In your case with specialty grains it wouldn't be as useful but I would pour as evenly and slowly as practical.
Another method, and one I would use to accomplish the same thing but possibly even better is what is called batch sparging. Instead of pouring the sparge water through a colander, just rinse the grains in the sparge water in a separate pot, drain and add to the boil pot.
In both cases, it is important to ensure that undue splashing of the hot wort be avoided.
If you use the colander, keep the bottom close to the wort already in the pot. If you batch sparge, pour the sparged wort down the side of the boil pot to avoid splashing.
The principle here is called hot side aeration. No matter what method you use, try to avoid aerating the wort until it has been boiled and cooled to fermentation temperatures. The only time in making beer that you want to introduce oxygen (air) into the process is just before or during the pitching of yeast.

Back