Sparge Water Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetarisk

Reaction score
Brewing the following Extract kit this weekend and have a question about the amount of sparge water to use.

Brewers Best Imperial Blonde 5 gallon yield

Fermentables
6.6 lb. Light LME
1 lb. Wheat DME
1 lb. Corn Sugar

Specialty Grains
1lb Honey Malt

Hops
1 oz. Brewers Gold
2 Packs of .5 oz. Cascade

My brew kettle supports about a 4 gallon wort boil and I'm thinking about steeping the Honey Malt in 2 gallons at 155F for about 30 minutes then sparging at the same temp in a separate pot filled with 2 gallons of water for another 30. This is my second time brewing and first time sparging. Any feedback as to whether that sounds appropriate would be greatly appreciated!

Sparging is only necessary if you're mashing to rinse the excess sugars off the grain. Since you're just steeping and it's only 1 pound of grain, you'll be fine with out a sparging step. But if you did need to sparge, you wouldn't need to let it sit for 30 minutes.

This is an extract kit, no sparging required.
Sparging is "rinsing" grains after mashing (letting the grains sit in hot water for a length of time.)

You will be adding the malt extracts to the water and boiling per the recipe. Probably 60 minutes.

Back