Sparge after step mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I've never step mashed before but a recipe I want to try calls for 4 temp rests.

The St Bernardus recipe in BYO this month calls for...
15 min rest @ 135*
35 min rest @ 145*
25 min rest @ 165*
5 min rest @ 172*

I use a RIMs set-up, so I can do the temp bump ups. This is 80 minutes of mashing. Is this all done with my initial water? Do it still pull two equal sparges, and at what temp?

If you can't tell I don't have many AG batches under my belt.

Mashing is done with the initial do ugh in water including the temperature rises.
After your 5 min rest you then drain and start your sparging.

Hope that's what you were after.

I've never seen any recommendation to go up to 172 but 170 is the arbitrary threshold to the gates of hell. Ok, maybe not that bad but tannins become more "extractable" over 170. In any case yes, sparge with 170F water.

Step mashing is sometimes done through infusions or decoctions but the whole point to a RIMS is being able to do this without much work.

Hi, can someone tell me why is sparging needed after step mashing? You can rise your temp at 168 and wait 10min... isnt these the same as sparging?

Sparging is more about rinsing residual sugars off the grains than about the temp. I believe it's crucial to good efficiency to get the sugar off the grain bed. Sugar is sticky and will stick to the grain bed after the first runnings.

Sparging is more about rinsing residual sugars off the grains than about the temp.

Then i could rinse these sugars with coold water?? You mean that sugars can't be drained into brew pot without sparge water? But what if the wort is stirred during last step mash at 168? these isn't enough to rinse sugars?

I imagine part of it is to simply run your sparge water through your grains to extract whatever is left behind after you drain your mash. This way your making the most out of the mash and not just mixing in your plain water for boil volume. If you could mash enough to get your final boil volume I suppose it is possible you could skip sparging but I don't know.

Then i could rinse these sugars with coold water?? You mean that sugars can't be drained into brew pot without sparge water? But what if the wort in stirred during last step mash at 168? these isn't enough to rinse sugars?

I think that if you rinsed with cold water all of the sugars wouldn't enter into solution even if they were previously released.

I imagine part of it is to simply run your sparge water through your grains to extract whatever is left behind after you drain your mash. This way your making the most out of the mash and not just mixing in your plain water for boil volume. If you could mash enough to get your final boil volume I suppose it is possible you could skip sparging but I don't know.

yes, i think you have right. Rinsing all sugars with sparge water... But is big difference if you must pre heat sparging water and then sparge or if you just put aditional amount of water in lauter tun to achieve boil wolume and then rise your temp at 168 and have a last step mash- 'sparge'. so you achieve boil volume and sparge in one step, you dont need to pre heat water and then sparge... i really want to understand these :)

Then i could rinse these sugars with coold water?? You mean that sugars can't be drained into brew pot without sparge water? But what if the wort is stirred during last step mash at 168? these isn't enough to rinse sugars?

I simply mean the temp is part of sparging. It's a verb. The warmer temp (168*) makes the sugars more soluble and therefore flow easier into the kettle. Stirring helps but in my experience isn't enough. If you calculate your water correctly you should be able to sparge until you reach your pre-boil volume.

Some practice "no sparge" mashing but they increase the grain bill to counter any lossed efficiency by not sparging.

I simply mean the temp is part of sparging. It's a verb. The warmer temp (168*) makes the sugars more soluble and therefore flow easier into the kettle. Stirring helps but in my experience isn't enough. If you calculate your water correctly you should be able to sparge until you reach your pre-boil volume.

so you can't avoid sparging... ok. I was thinking to put sparge water in lauter tun to achive pre boil volume and then rise temp at 168 and have a last step mash equal sparging, but it is not the same because stirring is not enough to rinse al sugars :) Ok thanks man, i think i get it :)

so you can't avoid sparging... ok. I was thinking to put sparge water in lauter tun to achive pre boil volume and then rise temp at 168 and have a last step mash equal sparging, but it is not the same because stirring is not enough to rinse al sugars :) Ok thanks man, i think i get it :)

I think you've got it. Anything you can do to get the sugar in the kettle will help make your beer better.

Back