sp10 conversion to natural gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatuna

Reaction score
I have a bayou classic sp10 propane burner like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have tapped my natural gas valve out back and am now wanting to hook it up to my sp10. Well, that didn't work like I thought it might, the regulator for NG is much larger than for propane.

Is it possible to simply change the regulator inside the sp10 to a NG regulator?

Please excuse me if "regulator" is not the correct word, the piece that I am referring to is connected to the gas line and looks like the nozzle at the end of a fire hose. The propane "hole" is as small as a pin prick, the NG hole is larger.

If someone knows or can point me to another thread, I would appreciate it :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have tapped the house line you no longer need a regulator, just a shut off valve and new gas jet sized for NG. To increase the gas jet opening to work on NG use a 1/8" drill bit and smooth the burrs of after drilling with sandpaper or file so face is smooth and opening is free of hanging chips.

Well, after some trial and error, I have found the following

1) you cannot use a propane burner with natural gas like the SP10. It lights up like a cigarrette lighter, instead of the blow torch that we're used to.
2) you must order a ng burner like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2VTP/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 . If you want, take the old propane burner off of the sp10 stand, and weld the new NG burner to the sp10 stand.
3) as far as I have read, a regulator is still needed to help regulate the flow from the main house line into the burner and prevent "suck back" for safety reasons. I'm sure you can get away w/ out that, but with all of the reports of meth houses blowing up, I don't want to be another statistic.
4) Like kladue states, a 1/8" drill bit to increase the gas jet (sized for propane) is correct. The gas jet is the nozzle at the end of the line that screws into the burner. It looks like a miniature version of a fire hose.

Hope this helps someone down the line with this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why you just get a hurricane burner that works on both propane and NG (with the purchase of a $5 adapter).

Sorry to re-open this thread but has anyone been successful in converting the Sp-10 to Natural gas? I just got this cooker intending to convert it. I should have read this thread first but now I am considering returning it.

Since a lot of people simply use their stovetop, would the Sp-10 with a larger orifice still be better even though the flame is week?

I successfully converted my outdoor grill a few months ago and it works nicely, but will I really just not be able to boil 6 gallons of water?

Thanks

Back