NG conversion of GasOne 5250

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LitBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking at converting my GasOne B5250 burner to natural gas.

I have an NG line with shutoff valve going to my gas grill connects here:
image.jpg

I am thinking of making that a quick connect so I can unplug and plug into my GasOne stove.
I assume I don’t need the regulator part.

Connector looks like this…. Seems like I need at least an adapter. Anyone able to provide some guidance?
image.jpg

Right - something that is true anytime a burner element is converted from propane to natural gas, whether its a gas range, clothes drier, or beer brewing burner. Hopefully whomever manufactured that burner provides the appropriate orifice fitting, but if not one can drill out a propane orifice to NG size. Going the other direction is more challenging, but it is typically accomplished by filling the orifice with solder then drilling to the smaller diameter required. I've done as much playing with increasing the output of various barbecues over the years...

Cheers!

You are likely very correct on that, I guess that would involve boring out the holes where the flame comes out little by little, right?

I was thinking the process would be to first get the gas line hooked up, see how the flame looks/responds, then start boring out the holes 1/16th larger each time till i get the flame i like. It's possible i'll get enough without I am thinking.

Before I get to that stage I need to get the gas itself hooked up though. I am noticing the gas line going to the bbq coming out from the ground has a shutoff valve already, and is a quick connect.

This line here should get me from the gas line to my cooker : Amazon.com : GasSaf 10 Feet 1/2" ID Natural Gas and Propane Gas Quick Connect Hose Kit -Quick Disconnect Gas Connect with 1/2 Female Pipe Thread X 1/2 Female Swivel Flare-CSA Certified : Garden & Outdoor

However, I need an adapter that goes from this line into the GasOne. The connection into the G1 is female and is 1/2"diameter OD, but the other end of that hose is 1/2" female ID. So I need some kind of male to male reducer or some fitting in between and I can't figure out what it should be. This is where I need the help.

I have a needlevalve from tejassmokers.com that has an NG orifice size and allowed me to convert my bayou bg12 to NG. The needle valve is a 1/8 MNPT to 3/8” MGF (flare). I attached the hose to that and hang the hose permanently on my brew cart. When I'm ready to brew, I lock the casters, and plug the male QD into the female QD which is threaded onto my gas pipe I installed.
To summarize: 1. 1/8" MNPT goes in burner inlet 2. MGF goes into gas hose. 3. female qd gets mounted on gas pipe supply.
Maybe there's a way to do what you're suggesting, but I'm not aware of it.

Ok I managed to finally get this done. If anyone is interested I can post a complete parts list.

Essentially you need a gas hose line that hooks up to your NG. In my case it was 1/2" quick connect. The other end is typically 3/4" female NPT. I did not use a regulator, but someone could potentially put one in line and test. I did use a ball valve to make sure I could quickly turn on/off the gas at the cooker.

The hardest fitting was the one going into the cooker, which ended up being 1/8" NPT, so I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D93WXJX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From there you just need the right size couplers to go into your regulator ( if used ), gas valve, and gas hose.

That is meant for propane so I had to make the hole bigger. I started with 1/16 size hole and just stepped it up with larger holes till i got the flame size I wanted. I stopped at 7/32, seemed pretty good. Need to double check with a boil...

Ok I managed to finally get this done. If anyone is interested I can post a complete parts list.

Essentially you need a gas hose line that hooks up to your NG. In my case it was 1/2" quick connect. The other end is typically 3/4" female NPT. I did not use a regulator, but someone could potentially put one in line and test. I did use a ball valve to make sure I could quickly turn on/off the gas at the cooker.

The hardest fitting was the one going into the cooker, which ended up being 1/8" NPT, so I bought this:
From there you just need the right size couplers to go into your regulator ( if used ), gas valve, and gas hose.

That is meant for propane so I had to make the hole bigger. I started with 1/16 size hole and just stepped it up with larger holes till i got the flame size I wanted. I stopped at 7/32, seemed pretty good. Need to double check with a boil...
Can you post your part list? I'm looking to do something similar, but with older Blichmann floor burners. I'd love to see a picture for me to get it locked in my head. I have a QD gas valve off my outdoor grill, but I'm wondering where the regulator will be. I don't like the idea of having the needle valve so close to the burner to regulate the heat.

I did not end up using a regulator. There is a ball valve at the gas main and another one on the connection point. The male end in pic goes into gas line coming out of the ground.

image.jpg

Most domestic natural gas systems have just a single regulator at the entrance point and supply 11" WC pressure through the home. I don't think any further regulation is expected, though some devices (gas ranges) may have their own regulator (my Samsung slide-in has one). For simple burners a needle valve should be sufficient...

Cheers!

Back