U1/108 APA Today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassist286

Reaction score
Starting an American Pale with Experimental U1/108 hops only. Description of Hops are very promising: Lychee, Mango, Guava, Citrus, Lemongrass, Stone Fruit, Coconut. Going to pitch the Omega Tropical IPA Yeast as well to see how juicy I can make this thing.

Do some research on the hops to see how much you need to use. I have used experimental hops before, and 8 ozs produced next to nothing. I think I still have 1,5 lbs somewhere in the freezer. They are even low AA, so can't use them for bittering either.

They put out these great descriptions, but you don't know how subtle, or prominent the flavors are.

While there are going to be some great experimental hops out there, I've decided it is a crap shoot and not worth risking a brew on an unknown. Burnt once .....

Do some research on the hops to see how much you need to use. I have used experimental hops before, and 8 ozs produced next to nothing. I think I still have 1,5 lbs somewhere in the freezer. They are even low AA, so can't use them for bittering either.

They put out these great descriptions, but you don't know how subtle, or prominent the flavors are.

While there are going to be some great experimental hops out there, I've decided it is a crap shoot and not worth risking a brew on an unknown. Burnt once .....

That's true. The U1/108 is 18.2% AA which is insanely high IMO. They smelled pretty good. It's experimental for a reason I guess. It's a lottery beer. Could be amazing could be junk.

Back