sous vide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good PP....

I dont have any pics but I did about 12 NY strips and sirloins today for a little family cookout. Of course the HLT handled them like a champ. Went for 140F since most of the family likes their steaks medium-well. Threw them on the hot grill, and left a couple on there for about 3-4 minutes for the pregnant (paranoid) wife and the not-pregnant (paranoid) mother. Everyone loved them!

I would have rather pan seared them in some butter to get a little better crispy outside, but that gets a little tedious with 12 steaks. Time to buy a cast iron griddle!

Thanks for the extra detail Klaus, much appreciated! I didn't see the diagrams you described in your post though. I see that the il200 is rated for 80°c, 176°f so that will do well. I am going to build a dedicated sous vide similar to yours. It will be nice not to have to drag out the brew equipment if I want to do a quick sous vide.

I didn't see the diagrams you described in your post though.

Hmm... the diagrams show up fine for me. If you want to download them, the links are here:

files.me.com/kshuler/uqaua0
files.me.com/kshuler/2dbm7x

They will be up until June 30th, until mobileme goes away for good. They are full res PDF files. It really is easy to build, except there is a lot of filing to make the holes, and you need to have a few NPT sized taps. It isn't that much, either, and it is made for easy disassembly and cheap replacement of parts.

It is running right now with some duck breasts.

Klaus

This is beautiful, simply beautiful.

I tried this sous vide thing for the first time today, and it almost brought me to tears. For years, my only real gripe about living on the 14th floor of a Manhattan apartment building has been not being able to grill conveniently. I did a simple RIMS pork loin today as a proof of concept, and it was absolutely perfect. A few hours at 139, seared with a propane torch, virtually zero clean up. This changes everything.

I did a tritip on the 4th, threw it in a pan to sear the outside, and it was phenomenal. I would have shared a pic, but it was gone before I could get my camera.

For those of you that are having trouble with post-sous vide searing, you have to have a really, really, really hot surface. Way hotter than you usually use for anything else. For steaks, I usually pre-heat my weber grill with one load of coals from the chimney starter for about 30 minutes, vents wide open, then thrown another load of coals from the chimney starter in about 5 minutes before cooking. I have after-market cast iron grates, and following this procedure the grill gets screamin' crazy hot. I do 30 seconds, flip 30 seconds, rotate flip 30 seconds, flip 30 seconds (so 1 total minute per side with a rotation to get cross-hatch grill lines). I think the propane torch makes a funny taste, but maybe that's just me.

I recently did a sous vide pork belly (36 hours, 165 degrees) that was friggin' amazing... definitely worth th effort.

For those of you doing the multiday sous vide, WHY? Ive been cooking for many years now, and while Ive only done a little sous vide, the science is the same as any cooking and why you do things. While low slow cooking is great for tough piece of meats (especially things with bones like ribs that have a lot of connective tough tissue to break apart). However, that only takes a certain amount of time. And unless you are cooking a whole animal there is no need to hold it for so long, most times the meats are done within a few hours (exception being the bigger/tougher cuts of meats). In my research I have not found a single piece of meat that requires more than 12 hours to cook. Once the meat gets to temperature the tissues start breaking down and doesnt take days to do it. Have you compared doing the same piece of meat for the min time required versus the long multiday soak. Just like marinades there is a point to where extra time isnt helping you and can hurt.

Once you get to a certain point nothing is happening. You are just holding it at temp for serving. You would be better off taking it out and letting the meat cool and refrigerate it before grilling. The collagen has broken up and become gelatin already, so if you cool it back down in the fridge it will harden back up and give the meat structure without giving it toughness. When you reheat, it takes a higher temp to liquidfy the gelatin again. This is great for dishes like ribs and stew type dishes. For things like pulled pork and brisket this can be good or bad.

So the purpose of my post isnt to bash or hurt anyones feelings. Its more to clarify to less knowledgeable cooks and newbies looking to start sous vide. You dont need to run your sous vide (Mash tun/HLT or whatever you use) for 24-36 hours like some are saying. Do a search and find the recommended min cook time for your type of cut and size. Most times are around 2-12 hours max for needed time. Now part of the benefit of sous vide is its very hard to over cook and can let it sit for longer if you need to.

But be warned, with more fragile food and cuts of meats, even with this method you can over cook, there is more going on than just getting the food to a certain temp. And letting it stay at high temps for too long can and will ruin food. Just like all cooking, do a little reading on the technique and what is happening with the food during the cooking process. If you know what is going on with the food (just like with brewing) you can use the technique to create something new without needing a recipe.

I have done a lot of research on sous vide as well as a lot of sous vide cooking. As a technique, it isn't exactly like traditional "low and slow" cooking, since LnS is usually done at braising temperatures. Most of the time with sous vide, you're looking at bracketed cooking times to maintain food safety. You are correct that you can look at the minimum time and temperature and cook to that point. That makes some assumptions about the lineage of your food, though. Let's say that I have some beef that has been improperly stored (in the danger zone between 40 and 140) for 3 hours. If my minimum sous vide cook time for rare at 130 is 100 minutes, that means that I've had meat sitting for over four hours in the food safety danger zone. This is where the time factor comes in... the beef is *cooked* at 130, but in this example it isn't pasteurized. Please bear in mind that this example is contrived because the pasteurization time at 130 is over 100 minutes). Luckily, pasteurization is a factor of both temp and time. If you can't change the temp, then you have to add time to get the same doneness and get over food safety dangers. If you are sure that everything has been stored properly, by all means cook to minimum time and consume short-term. You can also get into trouble if you cook something to a really cool temp for shorter than pasteurization time and don't eat it soon or have a thing for cold leftovers.

That's why most sous vide recipes (reputable ones, at least), will say that you can cook to a doneness in "up to 3 hours and over 8". If you get over 3, you can't take it out until 8... that's purely for pasteurization not doneness, except for really fatty cuts of some meats because certain types of fats go through an intermediate weirdness that isn't tasty, so you're better on the short side or long side, but not in the middle.

Anyways, a few comments back, I was imploring people to pick up some sous vide references because you can get some people seriously sick if you don't know what you're doing. Time and temperature aside, thickness also matters. There are many charts and tables that let you triangulate those three factors to sous vide safely.

I will routinely sous vide fillet mignons for 8 or 10 hours to medium rare out of convenience. They won't be negatively affected ("overcooking", but not really) until hour 18 and it is convenient to just get them done for a dinner party or something. Finish up on the grill and there you go. For other things, like pork belly, they actually do require 24+ hours for the fat to gelatinize at a temperature that keeps the meat parts from being tough.

Anyways, sous vide is great fun but it is a fairly complicated technique and not so much like low and slow as we normally know it. We are a house of crazy kitchen geeks (about to open a gastropub, hopefully :) ), so I could debate/discuss about this stuff forever. Especially over a home brew!

Well said - and it's exactly why I use pink salt when I cold-smoke things like homemade sausages. A solid muscle is one thing but it's a long time for ground meat... but then again, smoking is a topic for another thread... Although the sous vide pastrami I made was cured beforehand too.

Is there a smoking/curing thread somewhere? I was just looking in to pastrami this morning and I was wondering about the variations of pink salt, cure #1, etc. I ordered Ruhlman's "Charcuterie" book to start my education on the topic, but it is still confusing.

Is there a smoking/curing thread somewhere? I was just looking in to pastrami this morning and I was wondering about the variations of pink salt, cure #1, etc. I ordered Ruhlman's "Charcuterie" book to start my education on the topic, but it is still confusing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f172/

Post your question there and I'm sure you'll got lots of comment back.

Blakelyc, exactly what I was trying to get at with my post was to read about the technique (from a reputable source) before just following on here. And while I wasnt thinking about the pasteurization part of it, that is a good point especially if you dont have access to quality meats. My main point was for people to read more and understand why they are keeping it in there that long and what can happen with the meats with over exposed time. Also wasnt trying to be negative or bash anyone so hope it didnt come across that way.

I love good beer and great food, so wanted to through in my 2 cents as what I have learn about cooking, since Ive been forced to do it (though im glad I was now) since I was 7 and have a lot of practical experience. Could talk about cooking techniques and beer for hours given the chance.

Corned beef is pretty easy to do if you have the right spices, cure, a plastic bag and 5 days. Hmmm... time to get one going!

I was going to, but the store didn't have any brisket. Rather than driving all over trying to find one, figured I'd just give it a go with an already corned beef and do it that way next time.

Blakelyc, exactly what I was trying to get at with my post was to read about the technique (from a reputable source) before just following on here. And while I wasnt thinking about the pasteurization part of it, that is a good point especially if you dont have access to quality meats. My main point was for people to read more and understand why they are keeping it in there that long and what can happen with the meats with over exposed time. Also wasnt trying to be negative or bash anyone so hope it didnt come across that way.

I love good beer and great food, so wanted to through in my 2 cents as what I have learn about cooking, since Ive been forced to do it (though im glad I was now) since I was 7 and have a lot of practical experience. Could talk about cooking techniques and beer for hours given the chance.

You didn't come off at all negative. I am the same way, get me started on a cooking technique and I can go on and on and on and on. I am from arkansas, too btw. Always nice to run into a fellow arkie!

Cheese. Sausage. Beer. This place really is hell on earth....... For my productivity at least.

Btw, for all you sous viders out there, I know meat is awesome, but try fresh carrots at 171 for about two hours with a pat of butter, salt, pepper, and a bit of crushed cumin seed. Your friends will not believe that carrots could be that good!

Since the .mac service that held the pictures of the DIY sous Vide Immersion circulator I had went down, my diagrams haven't been working now. Anyone that wants to make a sous vide machine that is grounded, easily fixable and very accurate can go to my website. It has the diagrams that show how to build it and a video of the thing in action.

I actually last used it for a glycan rest, protein rest and mashing of some rye that i was using in a mash. I had a completely clogged false bottom when I tried it before (33% of the grain bill). Worked great!

Easy sous vide with an eBay temp controller and crock pot, works perfectly! My wife has made ribs, pork, steak and lamb and all have been perfectly cooked.

image-67508871.jpg

Ohio locale, but those are European (france?) plugs. ?

Good eye, I recently was sent to France for a 2 year assignment and haven't changed my location. Guess I'm trying to keep one foot on American soil.

I have only found the STC-1000 temp controllers in Deg C, I'm still getting used to using C for weather, not quite there yet...

Cheers,

Tim

Easy sous vide with an eBay temp controller and crock pot, works perfectly! My wife has made ribs, pork, steak and lamb and all have been perfectly cooked.

You just have the ebay controller temp probe setting directly in the water?
I was wondering if this probe would hold up to being submerged like that myself.

thanks Kevin

haeffnkr said:
You just have the ebay controller temp probe setting directly in the water?
I was wondering if this probe would hold up to being submerged like that myself.

thanks Kevin

I have used the eBay probe immersed in water for chilling and warming beer for weeks at a time and with the sous vide up to much higher temps, works fine with no problems.

Has anyone used a heatstick for sous vide?

I have a 110v heatstick capable of boiling 5 gallons of water (takes about an hour). I imagine I could plug it into my temp controller.

Thoughts?

Also, how can you tell if your temp controller can handle temps high enough for this (does it have to be a "2 stage" controller)?

dallasdb said:
Has anyone used a heatstick for sous vide?

I have a 110v heatstick capable of boiling 5 gallons of water (takes about an hour). I imagine I could plug it into my temp controller.

Thoughts?

Also, how can you tell if your temp controller can handle temps high enough for this (does it have to be a "2 stage" controller)?

Should work fine, this is no different than plugging in a crock pot. Put it in a small cooler to hold the temps. 2 stage controller means it can control either a heater or fridge. They should all be able to handle these temps, they are not very high.

Should work fine, this is no different than plugging in a crock pot. Put it in a small cooler to hold the temps. 2 stage controller means it can control either a heater or fridge. They should all be able to handle these temps, they are not very high.

I will have to check the model of my Ranco, I'm not sure how high the temps go or if it can handle heat.

I saw guys saying that the heating elements aren't that hot to the touch and that if the bag touch them they won't melt.

Will a 110v 1500w element melt the cooler if it rests against the sidewall or bottom?

Thanks

Back