Souring second runnings and returning during Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_Chavez

Reaction score
Essentially, making a 5 gal batch of saison(20IBU)
Pulling 1 gal of the second runnings aside to sour wort(innoculate w/grain).
After 3days, returning to the primary.
(a)no heat and let the IBUs impede further souring
(b)heat to 160deg, cool, return to primary

Of course you could pitch a tiny bit of yeast to the 1 gal and blend after both primaries are done, but I thought this would be simple, a bit more organic and time efficient if there are no major detractions.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The goal would be just a tinge of sour, but I'd be happy with any level of sourness.

Interesting way to get some sour in the Saison. Using a little bit of acid malt or lactic acid might be a more predictable way to accomplish though. Sounds like a fun experiment though.

Yeah, I don't know that I could add lactic acid. Just doesn't seem right when there is a perfectly awesome and simple way to do it naturally. I know lactic acid is lactic acid, but it just doesn't feel right.(also a sour mash berliner was my favorite beer I've ever made)

What I decided on for this batch is:

After sourness is where I want it, bring it up to 160 before cooling and adding to the primary under way. But, for fun, I'll save 1-2cups un pasteurized to add to a 1gal batch of low hopped saison 2days before I pitch sacch.
We'll see what happens!

Im going to say go higher on that boiling of the sour section. One wants to believe that nothing else is in there other than lacto but there might. Bring up to 185F to be more cautious.

Good point Lou. Maybe I will head up to 185.
My bigger question was, am I running into any potential problems/variables introducing fresh wort 3days into fermentation of the main batch?

I don't think you'll have a problem. The main factor you'd have to compete with is pH and growth of sacc. But you'll circumvent that by adding the acidic portion at it's peak fermentation.

I'd heat it up to kill anything that is in there. With grain, you really don't know what is in there with the lacto. Hate to ruin a batch when there is a simple way of preventing any problem.

If you are only souring 20% of the batch there should be no PH issues for the yeast. As lousbrews noted, your yeast will have built its colonies by that time anyway. It is probably obvious, but don't aerate when adding the new wort.

No issues with adding wort late. I often add sugar (solution) to my Belgians as fermentation is slowing down. It will get the ferment going again, so ensure you still have some head-space in the fermenter.

Thanks guys. I'll be marrying them today assuming tartness is in the neighborhood of where I want it. From past sour mashing I'm assuming 3.4-3.6 after three days. Looking forward to sampling it!

Back