Source of medicine after taste in all grain brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time in about 40 all grain brews I have batch with a medicine after taste. It is a recipe I have made before with success. My water source is RO and there were no signs of infection when I bottled. Fermentation was in the normal range of 67 F using kolsch yeast (I had made this before using US-05). Not sure what might have happened and I am curious if anyone has any ideas. I would like to make this again but with better results.

7 lbs Vienna
3 lbs Pilsen
.38 Caraplis

0.5 oz Pearle (60 min)
0.5 oz Tettnang (45 min)
0.5 oz Tettnang (10 min)
0.5 oz Tettnang (5 min)

Hmm...from what I understand medicine like tastes usually come from chlorophenols; compounds which form due to chlorine in the water, or residual cleaner/sanitizer...since you are using RO water, it may have been due to improper rinsing...Ive also had a similar issue, and seemed to narrow it down to a combination of mash/sparge water pH being off, as well as sparging at a higher than normal temperatures

Could any of these be a possibility?

In addition to what Revelator said, could it possibly be chlorine from PVC leaching into the wort? Do you use vinyl tubing and such? Have you replaced it recently or no?

...Ive also had a similar issue, and seemed to narrow it down to a combination of mash/sparge water pH being off, as well as sparging at a higher than normal temperatures

Could any of these be a possibility?

I think you may have confirmed what I suspected regarding sparge water either being at the wrong ph or too hot. I made two batches that day and the first batch was fine but this second one had the problem. I had a new thermometer to use and I had not seen if it was calibrated or not prior to use. I don't use tubing to transfer from my boil kettle to the fermenting buckets for 5 gallon batches, I just dump it in and go, but I will be sure to check/change the tubing the next time I do a 10 gallon batch.

Latest posts

Back