Source of "free" CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faithie999

Reaction score
relative to many discussions here about having CO2 available for use when draining/siphoning a carboy:

it has been suggested to attach a mylar balloon to the vent hole in your fermenter and capture the CO2 in a mylar balloon for use later when draining or siphoning the fermenter into secondary or keg.

as I was getting ready to wash an empty keg, which is still pressurized, it occurred to me that I can fill a few balloons from the empty keg. I would use a spare gas ball lock fitting connected to a piece of gas hose, then connected to a cheap air regulator ($7 at harbor freight) so I could control the rate of filling of the balloon.

a couple of $1 mylar balloons from Dollar Tree and I'm ready to try it.

I know that the balloons have a check valve in the neck. I haven't decided whether to deal with that before filling or at time of use.

Ken

It’s called the Cold Crash Guardian from brewhardware.com. Check it out. It will collect the CO2 during fermentation. You may be able to adapt it to your needs.

Back