Source for used pins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teacher

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a strong barley wine to age in a used oak keg. The problem is that I'm looking for what I think is called a pin -- a roughly 4-5 gallon keg -- and I can't find any on the internet. Does anybody know where these might be available?

Maybe a pin lock keg? They're widely available from keg connections, ebay, and even vendors on this site

BallKeg.jpg

Or you may be thinking of skinny 1/6 barrel kegs... check out this link

Problem is that a used oak cask (pin = 4.5 G) is likely to have been used to the point it no longer imparts much oakiness(sp?) to the beer. You are likely to get a more desirable result for an oak aged beer buying a new cask.

Another option for oak aging is chips or cubes. There are a few good posts around here on the when, how, etc...

If you simply want to serve it on cask, Plastic Kegs america has pins for 60 bucks or so. They are plastic though.

Thans for the responses, guys. I may just go with the chips, as it was indeed the flavor that was most important. I just thought storing in a pin would be cool.

Latest posts

Back