Sour smelling starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire_Cat

Reaction score
So I was just about to get started brewing this afternoon and checked on my starter. I gave it a little sniff and there was a very sharp sour smell to it. I tasted it and didn't get any sour flavors but there was a definite sour smell. Could this be my first infected starter? Thought I would check before I chucked or pitched it.

It was WL002, about 48 hours on a stir plate.

The beer on top of a starter often smells sour or apply or funky, since there are no hops added as a preservative. Especially in the summer it will turn quickly. But it doesn't mean anyhting, nor does it affect the starter itself. Especially if you decant it off.

Your not making beer with your starter, you're making yeast, what is above it really is of no consequence.

Some folks do add a hop pellet or 2 when they make starters for that very reason

generally all starters in my opinion have a tart smell, the taste test is actually more accurate. If it tastes ok then you are in the clear, you would definatly be able to detect contamination even the slightest bit by tasting your starter. Have no fear and pitch that bad boy.

Great guys! Thanks!!! I've actually had really bad luck brewing this beer. I am doing a Decshutes Red Chair clone and have had an infection in the beer both times I brewed it. I was starting to think the world was against me on this one! :( I do plan to decant, I usually do. :mug:

Back