Sour smell filling up room where fermenter is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Our 10 gallon dunkelweizen batch is fermenting in a 15 gallon food grade plastic container. I have an airlock on top of it. For some reason the room where I have it stinks! It smells sour and terrible. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm sure it will settle out and be fine but the smell right now is horrible.

Is this just because it is a dunkelweizen? We have done a dozen or so batches and this is the first time I've noticed any smell. I cant believe how it is filling up the entire room. There are only tiny tiny holes in the top of the airlock. I cant get over that the gas escaping from those tiny holes is able to permeate an entire room?

Every style, Every Yeast. Some are worse than others... But, I would say that for most part, Weinstephaner by Wyeast was probably one of the worst.

I used Weihenstephan Weizen Wyeast #3068.

Old thread, I know, but wanted to know how your beer turned out, and if it did clean up nicely, I wanted to know about how long it took. I'm using the same yeast for a berliner weisse right now.

Every style, Every Yeast. Some are worse than others... But, I would say that for most part, Weinstephaner by Wyeast was probably one of the worst.

How about saflager weinstephaner? How's that yeast?

W-34/70 isn't too bad, but its a lager... which means that ferementation isn't quite as active. Plus, you will probably have it in a fermentation chamber anyways, so it's normally not an issue. If you used it at ale temps I imagine it would be pretty rough.

Back