Sour Mash/Sour Wort Berliner Weisse (Instant Pot Programmable Pressure Cooker)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
I have been, for a long time, been wanting to do a Berliner Weisse. But have been bouncing around on how I wanted to do it. SWMBO in her infinite wisdom found a pretty interesting product called Instant Pot (I'll wait for the giggles to die down)...

Basically its a programable electric pressure cooker thats got about a million different uses. One of which is a yogurt making setting with a 6 quart pot (theres larger models but they get a little expensive). So it sort of dawned on me, it would be hard for me to do a sour mash as I am BIAB (well building a heated chamber isnt so bad but I can be rather stingy). Lacto cultures thrive in the 105-115ish area and the pressure cooker keeps it in that range, as well its a completely sealed enviroment (and can be set for as long as 99 hours to hold that temp).

I wanted to see if my plan was completely crazy or would work. Basically I was thinking I would make a small 1 gallon wort around 1.030-1.035, give it a very very quick and brief boil to sanitize it, let it cool to 110F range throw it in the instant pot and set it to yogurt for probably 3 or 4 days (I have read that 2 days is more normal, but the longer time I will explain). So my first question is, do the quick boil to sanitize then innoculate with a pure culture of lacto from wyeast/white labs? Or forget the quick boil and throw in a handful of crushed base malt to get that mix of various bacteria and bugs? The only thing about the crushed base malt that would make me nervous is I will be letting it sour for longer so other nasties may get time to take hold and make baby diaper water.

Now my second issue is since its only 6 quarts I would really only feel comforable with 4 quarts-ish in it, not a whole lot of beer after the fact. So extending the souring time till it becomes mouth puckering-doom-sour, then I will be mixing it with 1.5-2 gallons of 1.035ish wort, 15 minute boil with the bare minimum hops, then I have 2.5-3 gallons of (hopefully) sourish berliner weisse that I will then ferment with US05/1056/clean ale strain I happen to have on hand.

So my plan, completely crazy? Would work maybe? Would it not be sour enough after the blending? Maybe up the gravity a tiny bit on the non-sour portion so after blending it ends up around that 1.030-1.035 range so I still get a little alchohol after fermentation? The main attraction of this path is I could very nearly perfectly control the temperature of the souring on that 1 gallon and keep it there for a longer period of time, and if I do the quick boil on the sour portion I can sour with only lacto and reduce the risk of potential baby diaper.

If you don't CO2 flush it very well, you will be making a stink bomb beyond belief. Good luck!

If you don't CO2 flush it very well, you will be making a stink bomb beyond belief. Good luck!

Ah good, good thing I have a CO2 tank, so I would just give a quick blast of this into the pot before I seal it?

So how did it turn out?

I havent quite gotten around to this. About a week after I posted this our landlord defaulted on all his loans and lost his properties to the bank, ended up getting jerked around by a bunch of nonsense and decided "F-it, I can pony up the cash for a downpayment on a house by myself, SWMBO, lets buy a house". My pipeline ran dry during this period since I put a moratorium on brewing (I hate moving huge totes full of beer bottles), I had to put some time in getting a bunch of relatively easy "normal" beers so I could pad up my pipeline.

It is still on my mind though, my pipeline is flush with lots of delicious beer so I will be looking at performing this experiment soon.

To keep this thread up to date.

Just started with 2# of pilsner malt in about a gallon and a half of water for a full volume BIAB mash. I only have Willamette on hand so I'll 'bitter' with a couple little pellets of that for the bare minimum hop pressence I need. I'll be tossing in a small hand full of very lightly crushed pilsner malt for the innoculation of the wort.

I am unsure what yeast I am going to use after the quick boil to kill the lacto. I have 3068 on hand, and some unknown washed English ale yeast from a friend. If I just do a slight over pitch with the 3068 I should be able to pull off a clean ferment.

Pictures will be forth coming.

Nice! I'm interested to see how this works out, I actually just brewed a one gallon Berliner Weisse in a similar way: soured with base malt and a slow cooker for 30 hours, did a 10 minute boil, and pitched Wyeast 3191 Berliner Weisse.

How long did you let it go in the cooker and at what temperature? Did you take any pH measurements?

I used the yogurt setting for this instant pot and the manual I think said it holds it around 115-120F. I did a 20 setting then let it shut off as normal after the yogurt setting expired...

Then life got in the way and left it for 5 days. It's a bit ropey looking so theres definitely like some pedio or something in there going to town. It don't *think* it smells like baby vomit. I'm gonna toss a boil on it tonight quick and see what that smells like after the boil and do a quick ferment with the 3068 hefeweizen yeast (its the only yeast jar I have in my fridge that I *know* what it is, theres a couple questionable jars in there).

Smelled like ham and tasted like ham even after a boil. I am going to retry this this weekend, try and be a bit more careful. I think the electric pressure cooker works perfect I just need to refine the process.

I know it's been a while but I was just having some yogurt while watching some youtube videos on kettle souring and thought of exactly the same thing! I've got an instant pot and I think I might just have to try this out.
Has anyone else given it a shot?

I just purchased an Instant Pot and it dawned on me that I should try doing a sour mash with it. Incredible device btw.

Any updates on this? I'm considering the same thing the OP suggests... making a super sour 1 gallon batch in my 6 qt Instant Pot, and then adding it to 4 or 5 gallons of a standard batch.

I just purchased an Instant Pot and it dawned on me that I should try doing a sour mash with it. Incredible device btw.

Any updates on this? I'm considering the same thing the OP suggests... making a super sour 1 gallon batch in my 6 qt Instant Pot, and then adding it to 4 or 5 gallons of a standard batch.

I would highly suggest using pure strains for this, the times I tried it innoculating with some malt it gets a bit too wild and crazy. You could make a very large starter of lacto though using the instant pot. I would just suggest purchasing a pure strain of lacto first and building it up from there.

(When I say it was a bit too wild and crazy the first attempt smelled clearly of ham, any pursuant attempts smelled way far away too funky for me)

I would highly suggest using pure strains for this, the times I tried it innoculating with some malt it gets a bit too wild and crazy. You could make a very large starter of lacto though using the instant pot. I would just suggest purchasing a pure strain of lacto first and building it up from there.

(When I say it was a bit too wild and crazy the first attempt smelled clearly of ham, any pursuant attempts smelled way far away too funky for me)

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

This needs to happen. I might have to use my DUO for a 1 gallon lacto starter batch when I find time. I noticed, during a sous vide cook, the instant pot heats to a point, turns off, then turns back on a few degrees later. I think this would be better for a longer ‘cook’ and if the pH gets too tart I feel like it would be settled down by pitching it into 4 gallons.

Would it be better to make a 1 gallon lacto starter and pitch into wort, or pitch into fermented beer?

Would it be better to make a 1 gallon lacto starter and pitch into wort, or pitch into fermented beer?
Pitching into wort will give more sourness because there are more food and nutrients available for the Lacto.

Depending on the Lacto source/species, keeping the starter hot is not necessary. L. plantarum does a great job at room temp (~70°F). ;)

This needs to happen. I might have to use my DUO for a 1 gallon lacto starter batch when I find time. I noticed, during a sous vide cook, the instant pot heats to a point, turns off, then turns back on a few degrees later. I think this would be better for a longer ‘cook’ and if the pH gets too tart I feel like it would be settled down by pitching it into 4 gallons.

I haven't tried this yet, but my idea would be to brew a 6 gallon batch, then sour 1 gallon in the Instant Pot while the remaining 5 gallons ferment with an ale yeast. Then blend the two together at the end. I figure this will allow me more control over the process, and produce a moderately sour beer.

I'm also tempted to inoculate with grain instead of a pure strain. Worst case scenario, I lose 1 gallon.

Then blend the two together at the end. I figure this will allow me more control over the process, and produce a moderately sour beer.
Not the approach I would take, but still not a bad idea.

You'll still need to ferment the sour portion. I'd suggest fermenting it before blending.

Consider doing some tasting trials to get the correct blend ratio to obtain your preferred level of sourness. I think a 6-fold dilution is probably too much.

Back