Sour hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintjl

Reaction score
Brewed a hefe a few weeks ago, all-grain, 60 percent wheat 40 percent pilsner using the wyeast 3068 weihenstephan weizen yeast. I did a single temp infusion mash at 152, brew day went well and my og was higher than expected at 1.058, I checked the gravity today almost two weeks later and it's at 1.008, much dryer than expected, the beer also has a tart sort of sourness to it. Ive never had an infected batch before and i practice good sanitation techniques but the degree of attenuation and the sourness lead me to believe that it's infected however I've heard that this yeast can produce a tart almost sour beer. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced some sourness and 84% attenuation with 3068 before. Let me know what you think, the beer isn't all that bad but I don't want to try to re-brew it if I'm going to experience the same results

To me it just sounds as if it is infected. What is your fermenting vessel? I use to use buckets then I kept having problems with it. Switched over to carboys haven't had any of those problems ever again. The reason was that the lid was getting micro abrasions in it from being used so much. With a carboy you can clearly see that the bung is in it and like I said I don't get those issues. But if you say you used a carboy and you sanitized I would honestly be stumped.

Wheat beers are more susceptible to infections; lower hop levels and more in the protein department to feed stuff you don't want.

Could always have been a wild yeast as well.

I had the same thing happen to a recent hefeweizen. It was so sour, almost like straight vinegar, I had to dump it.
I suspect poor sanitation in my starter caused it.

I used a brand new better bottle, first time fermenting anything in it. The beer doesn't taste overwhelmingly sour that's why I'm not 100% sure it is infected, I guess I'll just wait a see what happens, if it sucks after a couple more weeks then I'll be forced to dump it

Latest posts

Back