Sour Beer + Wine Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pkbomb

Flying Brewer
Reaction score
I wanted to share my experience and want to know your comments.

Last May 2017 I brewed a Dark Belgian Strong let it ferment for around 4 weeks, after kegging 2 kegs I had around 1 gallon still on my fermenter so I decided why not make an experiment.

I put on a ~gallon jug on secondary the beer with Brett, half pound of blackberries, half pound of cherries and why not a couple table spoons of kefir to be infected with lactobacilus and who knows what else.

Then a couple months later around Aug 2017 I found some organic cranberry and grape juice and bought a couple quarts added some (boiled) honey, dry wine yeast and let it ferment and forget about it. Made around 1 gallon.

Fast forward almost 20 months later I tasted both, the sour experiment tastes good. It has some twang, some farm (brett) taste and some fruitiness coming from the cherries and blackberries. Then tasted the cranberry/grape wine, and it tasted like very cheap wine so I decided to combine both last weekend. I transferred both jugs to a brewbucket and I'm planning to let it settle down for a couple weeks to let the sediment settle and then force carb and maybe bottle or fill a couple of half gallon growlers.
It tastes good but not amazing, I'm hoping with some CO2 to improve the flavor, I believe the base beer was not good to make this kind of experiment should've tried with something less extravagant like a cream ale or a pale ale.

Have you done something similar? Does it sounds like something crazy?

Sounds like an awesome experiment to me, I have been digging a lot of beers that use wine must in the fermentation.

I have seen around people finding that darker sour beers cause a clash between the roastiness of the grain bill and sour flavors, maybe that is what is at play here. Either way I love the experimentation, to me that is what brewing is all about! Cheers.

Sounds like an awesome experiment to me, I have been digging a lot of beers that use wine must in the fermentation.

I have seen around people finding that darker sour beers cause a clash between the roastiness of the grain bill and sour flavors, maybe that is what is at play here. Either way I love the experimentation, to me that is what brewing is all about! Cheers.

Thanks, maybe that's it, you're right the flavors are clashing between the toast notes of the dark malts and the sourness.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, and try it again to check how it is blending together

Back