Sorghum-Less GF Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeard

Reaction score
Hello,

So a friend of mine with Celiacs asked me to brew a dark GF beer without sorghum. My initial thought was an oatmeal stout of sorts, but soon after I realized that there really aren't any GF malted oats, so I'm trying to think of other alternatives.

I thought I could simply substitute brown rice syrup for sorghum extract, but after a little research I learned that brown rice syrup is much more fermentable than sorghum, and the beer would be too dry and lack any body if I did this.

I also don't really know how I'd get the 'roasty' taste of a stout without roasted barley... I've seen examples of people using coffee and/or toasting oats/wild rice, such as this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f240/gluten-free-double-chocolate-oatmeal-stout-165489/

I guess I just wanted to know if such a beer could be made without any sorghum, but with brown rice syrup + a maltodextrin addition for body. (And oats should add some body too, correct?).

Anyone have any experience with trying to avoid using sorghum altogether in a recipe like this?

Dark candi syrup is going to be your best friend. You can totally get into stout territory with D-180 and rice syrup and a couple pounds of toasted buckwheat. Maltodextrin helps. Lightly-toasted oats are good too.

I'm quite interested in this, please post what you decide to do

I totally will, but this project is kind of on the backburner for now unfortunately - I'm working on a bunch of beers for Thanksgiving at the moment.

I don't think it is gluten free, which is the problem - there are no gluten free malted oats that I know of.

Since they redesigned the website, Grouse now lists gluten-free oat malt as an available product. But like the other offerings there are no real details and you have to contact them for pricing, availability, etc.

Back