Sorachi Ace Single Hop IPA - any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammytag

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a 5 gallon extract, single hop Sorachi Ace IPA. Here's the schedule I'm thinking about:

1oz @ 60 min
1oz @ 15 min
1oz @ 0 min
1oz dry hop in secondary

Shooting for an OG of 1.05, thinking about using a lager yeast @ ale temps for fermentation.

Any thoughts?

if you have more sorachi available, i would add 1oz more to 0min and dry hop. I would also do a 20min hop stand after the boil to extract more flavor and aroma from the 0 min addition.

if you only have 4oz available, this looks good to me!

Tasted a fermenter sample yesterday. Tastes wondeful, with a firm but not overbearing bitterness. It's a little bit oily, but overall very pleasant and well-rounded. Instead of using lager yeast, I used Safale S-04, which in hindsight was a lucky good choice. The fruitiness of the yeast gives a candy-like flavour to the Sorachi Ace hops.

I thought the Sorachi Ace by itself was kind of blah so I added 1 oz of citra to the 1/2 keg I had left. The Citra compliments the Sorachi Ace very well. It's only been 5 days and I just pulled the last pint. :(

Latest posts

Back