Sorachi Ace Hops - What have you done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed the following recipe I designed over the summer (I do BIAB). I thought it was ok, but others really enjoyed it! People asked if I aged the beer in a whiskey or bourbon barrel or used cubes that were soaked in whiskey or bourbon. No I did not. I thought this was very interesting that many people thought I used some sort of hard liquor with this brew when I did not. The batch made 8.5 gallons, I split it to a 5.5 gallon and 3 gallon fermenters so I could keg it in my 5 and 2.5 gallon kegs.

I still have 10oz left of Sorachi Ace hops (cones), so I am looking to make something else with it. Seems like a nice SMaSH or Saison seems to be a good recipe to use these hops with. I may just wait until the spring since these styles seem like they would make for a great spring beer or summer beer.

Recipe: Warrior's Ace (IPA)
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications:
--------------------------
Boil Size: 11.69 gal
Post Boil Volume: 10.94 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 8.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 8.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 80.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 15.0 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.5 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.5 %
1.50 oz Warrior (2015) [14.90 %] - First Wort 60 Hop 6 42.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior (2015) [14.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 9.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.00 oz Warrior (2015) [14.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 12.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [14.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 8.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Sorachi Ace [14.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 11 8.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 12 -
1.0 pkg Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) [124.21 Yeast 13 -
3.00 oz Sorachi Ace [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 20 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 13.15 gal of water at 157.9 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

Notes:
------
For the dry hops I will use 2oz for the 5.5 gallon batch and 1oz for the smaller 3 gallon batch, thus totallying 3oz of dry hops. Ringwood yeast was used in the 3 gallon batch and WLP001 was used in the 5.5 gallon batch.

Anyone else get dill pickle out of sorachi ace? Someone pointed this out to me a short time ago and now it's all I can taste. Lemon and dill pickle.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone.

Anyone else get dill pickle out of sorachi ace? Someone pointed this out to me a short time ago and now it's all I can taste. Lemon and dill pickle.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone.

I definitely get dill and lemon out of Sorachi Ace. I'm sure it's off-putting for some people. I think it's great.

I have a full pound of this hop just waiting for the right recipie to strike my fancy....I like the idea of a rye ipa with this hop....does anyone happen to have a good recipie for one? I have never made a rye at all, so I'm not sure what to expect...

I have a full pound of this hop just waiting for the right recipie to strike my fancy....I like the idea of a rye ipa with this hop....does anyone happen to have a good recipie for one? I have never made a rye at all, so I'm not sure what to expect...

While it's not a Rye IPA, the best Sorachi Ace beer I've tried is Noble Ale Works Sorachi Ace Showers. The head brewer shared this info regarding their Showers series recipe:

"OG 1.074
IBU 120
Yeast WLP001
Grain bill is a mix of 2 row, Bohemian Pilsner, Golden Promise and about 10% corn sugar
One bittering addition and one whirlpool addition.
Dry hop warm with around 6 oz of hops per 5 gallons.
Good luck!"

My DIPA's are planned with 6 oz hops.

5 in low temp hop stand and 6 in DH.

works for me anyway

Latest posts

Back