Son of... Thermostat Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ive been reading up on the Son of Fermentation Chamber build. Im good with the AC adapter and fan. I'm not real technically inclined so i could use a hand. Does this project need a thermometer or a thermostat? If anyone has had success with a certain item for this use please let me know. I am hoping to get a good, inexpensive suggestion.

Thanks!

I recently built a 'son of' and using it for the first time as we speak. So far, so good. Here are a couple of thoughts around the build:

My thermostat choices came down to two: 1) http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090885.html; 2) http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=320-518. I used the second one because I already had a fan and other components that a friend gave to me. And, I was able to pick it up myself as the company is in town so I didn't have to deal with shipping costs. So, $18 vs. $35+. However, the coolerguys setup looks really good, is already wired, seems easy to use, etc.

If you have not yet started buying the parts for your chamber and if you aren't in to aesthetics I would suggest trying to find a piece of foam that is a bit dinged up and ask the store if they will give you a discount. I found a sheet that most likely was the outside sheet during shipping. It was scuffed, dinged, etc, but otherwise in great shape. I got 50% off.

Good luck with the build.

You need a thermostat, you could use a thermometer to monitor temps to make sure the chamber is doing what it is supposed to, but the thermostat will be required to actually kick the CPU fan on and off. The ones linked by GLW are fine, but you can just get a cheapo (non-programmable) thermostat from Lowes / HD and it will work just fine.

Latest posts

Back