Sometimes you gotta cave in, and leave it to the pros.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
Im sitting here in front of my computer thinking about the irony of brewing.

Everyone knows how much personal time goes into making beer, boiling the ingredients, cooling it down, transferring it. Then waiting for a month (or more) for the beer to ferment. Then the home stretch - waiting for the bottles to carbonate and then eventually leading to popping off the cap and chugging you first beer.

I found myself at a point where i was in between brews and i didnt have any beer in the keg or bottles.

The funny thing is, i went to the liquor store and bought a quarter keg of Yuengling just to satisfy my taste for a beer.

It takes all that time for us to make a batch of beer, and i went out, bought a keg, and poured myself a frosty 22 ounce glass of beer all within 30min.

Eventhough i enjoy brewing, sometimes i give in.

Anyone else ever find themselves in the same situation?

we all buy beer still. some beers to find out what they taste like and to see if we like them (the calibration beers passed refers to), some beers we might buy if we don't have the capability to brew (like lagers and icebocks), and other beers since no one can seem to lock them in and the commercial breweries just do them better

Sadly my pipeline is not fully established so i must rely on the storebought demon to vanquish my thirsts. but a day will soon come when i will buy only for the promissed"calibration beer" purpose

Just because you can cook some bomb food at your house doesnt mean you can't dine out sometimes.

If i see a beer on the shelf i havent tried,Ill probably try it.

i have to buy an IPA every now and then when i have the urge because i only have it on tap everyother month.

Sadly my pipeline is not fully established so i must rely on the storebought demon to vanquish my thirsts. but a day will soon come when i will buy only for the promissed"calibration beer" purpose

nicely put my friend

Just because you can cook some bomb food at your house doesnt mean you can't dine out sometimes.

i was saying how long it takes just to taste one home brewed beer, but in turn, i can jet down the street and buy a keg and its ready whenever i pour it.

im thinkin about that scene with Tom Hanks in the movie Cast Away where hes stranded on the island and he manages to make fire, then once he gets rescued, hes in that room flicking on the light switch and comes to realize how easy it was and how he took things for granted.

maybe not that in depth, but i hope you can see my point. lol. :rockin:

I buy beer all the time. Probably more than before I started brewing. SOmetiems I want something different, sometimes I'm researching new styles, sometimes a bit of both. The problem often with making something that for me takes a minimum 8 weeks to make, is I might not be in a mood for what I have on hand...

Like right not I'm on a bock kick.....part of it is researching the style to brew my own (which it looks like with the surgery next week I'm not going to get to do anyway for months) but I don't have anything like it in my pipeline...so I've been buying now.

I buy beer all the time. Probably more than before I started brewing. SOmetiems I want something different, sometimes I'm researching new styles, sometimes a bit of both. The problem often with making something that for me takes a minimum 8 weeks to make, is I might not be in a mood for what I have on hand...

Like right not I'm on a bock kick.....part of it is researching the style to brew my own (which it looks like with the surgery next week I'm not going to get to do anyway for months) but I don't have anything like it in my pipeline...so I've been buying now.

Good luck with the surgery mate! Hope you are back at the brew pot as soon as possible.

I still buy beer on occasion, and given what I dropped recently at the local bottle shop, homebrewing definitely hurts the wallet less than buying bombers and six packs, especially on heavy higher ABV beers like Imperial Stouts especially.

But back on topic, I bought a six pack of nugget nectar, my first, and although a good beer, it paled in comparison to my Honey West Coast IPA (modeled after an IPA extract recipe from a member here), and I'm just a lowly lowly extract brewer with absolutely NO illusions of going all grain anytime new soon who has been extremely happy with the results from the couple batches so far.

another reason to buy: i was in san francisco in the mid-80's. drank anchor steam down at the wharf; loved it. tried it a couple nights ago as i was ready to brew again. didn't care so much for it. don't wanna get stuck with 5g of it

nothing wrong with buying brews. I do so and are continuasly disappointed.
last few brews I bought - hopslam - excellent
nugget nectar......very good
stone arrogant bastard .., good
stone IPA - good, better than arrogant, IMO
Newcastle brown ale - PUKE
found my self in in a situation where I had to buy killians, wasn't too bad, better than the newcastle I guess, who am I kidding, It was gross..

Back