Something is eating my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I planted 2 cascade rhizomes and it took about 2 weeks for them to sprout up. I checked them in the afternoon and they were about 1/2" high, and then the next morning nothing was there. Same thing for a few more days. I know rabbits come in my yard sometimes, and there are some bugs too. So I guess my question is can it be the rabbits that are eating my hops? If it is I guess it is time for some chicken wire to protect them until they get bigger.

I didn't think anything ate hop plants. I have 5 varieties growing, and have had nothing eat them yet. I have had everything from deer, dogs and reabbits eatinig just about everything else in my garden, though.

Chicken wire is a good idea. I haven't had trouble with my hops being eaten, but there is so much fodder here, the deer don't even eat my spent grains.

david_42 said:
Chicken wire is a good idea. I haven't had trouble with my hops being eaten, but there is so much fodder here, the deer don't even eat my spent grains.

Unless they find something they like :D. They found my Strawberries under the snow, and so they ate the leaves up. I figured "eh, no biggie...they'll leave them alone once Spring hits and they have lots of other food". They kept coming though, I think they got a 'taste' for them. I had to put Bird netting over them. That worked. I agree though Chicken wire should suffice...I betcha it's the rabbits.

Well, I went ahead and put some chicken wire up. Hopefully they will grow more then an inch in the next few days.

I had same problem went to a pet groomer put dog hair all the way around about a foot away from plant seems to work.

Rabbit can be treated like chicken, for the most part. If you live in the country, try a cheap .2 rifle, or a high-powered air rifle. Or, if you need to be more stealthy, maybe a cheap crossbow pistol or bow and arrow. The arrow method might require some practice in order to be able to get a clean kill. Hollow point .22 will do a rabbit instantly with a head or neck shot (I don't shoot unless I know I will kill it instantly)

Latest posts

Back